Teachers betta had food dumped in tank

QCAquaholic

I got a frantic phone call this morning from a teacher who has a betta in a 10 gallon tank in her classroom. Someone had emptied a few hundred pellets into the tank at some point between the end of school yesterday and this morning. Judging by the amount of pellets that were on the bottom of the tank I think it was yesterday afternoon. I did manage to syphon out everything, and she scooped out what was still floating. Here are a couple of pictures she took before we got everything out.

F1.jpg
F2.jpg

TheFishWhisperer

Hello Qc,
Does this classroom contain kids who could unknowingly try to feed the fish more than what it can eat? If it does, try hiding the food somewhere that only the teacher knows of.

Upvote 0

Passionfish

I got a frantic phone call this morning from a teacher who has a betta in a 10 gallon tank in her classroom. Someone had emptied a few hundred pellets into the tank at some point between the end of school yesterday and this morning. Judging by the amount of pellets that were on the bottom of the tank I think it was yesterday afternoon. I did manage to syphon out everything, and she scooped out what was still floating. Here are a couple of pictures she took before we got everything out.
OMG! So sorry to hear that. I don't even know why some people think this is ok. Is the betta ok? No overeating?

Upvote 0

QCAquaholic

Hello Qc,
Does this classroom contain kids who could unknowingly try to feed the fish more than what it can eat? If it does, try hiding the food somewhere that only the teacher knows of.
I don't think so. Her students know to leave the tank alone and all love Flipper. There is a possibility that some other, older students did it thinking they were being funny. We do have students from other schools on campus for after school sports too, but they really don't venture into the buildings. She's going to make sure and lock her door now when she leaves for the day. The food has already been hidden.
OMG! So sorry to hear that. I don't even know why some people think this is ok. Is the betta ok? No overeating?
He is OK at the moment. He might have overeaten so he's going to be fasting for a few days.

Upvote 0

Passionfish

I don't think so. Her students know to leave the tank alone and all love Flipper. There is a possibility that some other, older students did it thinking they were being funny. We do have students from other schools on campus for after school sports too, but they really don't venture into the buildings. She's going to make sure and lock her door now when she leaves for the day. The food has already been hidden.

He is OK at the moment. He might have overeaten so he's going to be fasting for a few days.
Thats good to hear. And yea, whoever did this needs to stay out of your classroom.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Just make sure to keep track of the ammonia too.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Just wow...this is why my autistic kid does not have feeding fish as part of his chores. Also super glad that even though my cats used to dump my betta food on the floor or shelves, it never ended up in the tanks!

Upvote 0

QCAquaholic

Just make sure to keep track of the ammonia too.
Oh ya, certainly doing that

Upvote 0

StarGirl

It doesn't look as bad as some I've seen. I think he will be fine. Water looks pretty clear not cloudy.

Upvote 0

QCAquaholic

It's a good thing that wasn't done on a Friday afternoon, otherwise the tank could've fouled up pretty bad over the weekend.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Yeah that could have been way bad.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SquidBones
  • Question
Replies
Views