Teach Me How To Fryfish! Question

1. Herkimur Well Known Member Member

0ab1a4560c3e38f4faf8d2cbc9136e3f.jpg
    The question is:
    Can someone tell/teach me how to catch fry in a planted tank, specifically the one in the picture.
    I've made a fry-trap out of a small plastic water bottle, but none of the fish have any interest in going inside.
    Problem is that I have so much 'natural' food in the entire aquarium, that everybody is just happy munching away at that...

What tasty, smelly snack can I put into the trap so that the fry go nuts for it?

Tried pellets, wafers and cyclops so far.

Is there another way to catch 15+ fry that are too big for the turkey baster and too strong of a swimmer for the python/vacuum ?

2. EmmyFish Member Member

Most the time your fish will not swim willingly into a strange object. You'd be better off catching them and putting them in there. Small Fry usually hide after birth because it isn't safe for them to swim freely and they know this. They know that can't go swim into this trap you made or they risk being eaten.

3. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

I honesty read this title wrong, I was going to say that I like to lightly flour my fish before placing it on a skillet.

4. EmmyFish Member Member

It got me too. Had to reread it a couple times, lol.

5. MommaLake Well Known Member Member

Try a turkey baster to suck them up. Less than 2$ at the grocery store.

6. vin Well Known Member Member

Here's what i did - made a net out of an old pair of my wife's panty hose and an old wire hanger. Worked like a charm. Nothing for them to get caught in as the nylons are very fine mesh.

7. goplecos Well Known Member Member

With so many hiding places most of the fry should make it. If you really want to catch them wait till you feed them and scoop the fry up when they come out for food.

8. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Im sorry but with planted tanks I have only had luck with a net and a free hand to "herd" the fish. Off-topic question, are you using Seachem Flourite? Looks good.
    I guess you could try adding some chopped up bloodworms soaked in garlic to your trap before putting a net in. It makes fish go nuts.

9. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

reading the title of your thread I thought you were asking how do I fry fish like using oil and a fryer for a second I got scared thinking you wanted to fry up some aquarium fish.

10. goplecos Well Known Member Member

If they are that big then I doubt that any of your fish will bother them. From the looks of your pic you don't have any large fish, am I mistaken.

11. GodIsGreat Initiate Member

Hahahahaha

12. Herkimur Well Known Member Member

That's exactly what happened. I thought I sucked most of them down the sink with the Python, but apparently those little boogers managed to flee from even the strongest suction.

Hahahaha....!
    Well I was thinking more in line of Flyfishing.
    Been reading too many Outdoor Magazines lol.

I need to know how to fly fish .... errr..fry fish!
    Get it?!

Dang it I'm going to have to 'fry-fish' the old fashioned way I guess.
    I cannot catch these fish to save my life. The difference between sick, weak or malnourished baby fish born in a QT loaded with chemicals in comparison to fry born in a clean planted tank loaded with liquid fish vitamins and boosters is astonishing.
    I really thought "Oh this is going to be so eeeeasssy!" - Use Python and simply suck down the sink...Nope!

I'll give the bloodworm/garlic method a try.

Yes, it's Seachem Flourite. Thanks! This pic was taken about 4 weeks ago. The Jungle Val has taken over half the tank now and the moss grew so big I had to rip it off the wood to create swim room.

There are 5 adult female Platies and 4 juveniles (about 3 months old) females in the tank.

The 5 Platies gave birth to 60+ fry in the QT and I was able to mop them up with the baster.
    They were later all (but 4) given to the local fish store for resale (some died during quarantine ).
    The idea is to have 10 or so female Platies in a planted 40 gallon tank, that are done giving birth or carrying eggs/sperm but I guess I jumped the gun bringing them over because 1 of them popped these out about a month ago.

So when everybody is done growing it looks like I'll have 22-26 Platies in this 40 gl (overstocked) and if there is 1 boy in the mix the cycle starts all over again, not to mention that their own momma is in with them.

Thanks!
    Off to buy pantyhose !
    The plants in there are gonna suck.