Tds Readings

ladylouroll

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello my TDS meter came earlier today (ordered to test some stones and my tap water mainly).
Anywho I have been playing about with it testing my water at different points -
at cold water my TDS is 330
at (24c) where my tap would usually be when filling fish tank is 372
and my water after being boiled in a kettle and cooled to 35c is 311 (i will try test this again at 24c as it seems to drop as it cools if the 24c is anything to go from).

I'm yet to test my fish tanks but as my approx GH according to my water companies report 297-350 (i no these are not directly comparable but seem to make sense)

I have always been wairy of boiling my water for a w/c since it always ends up with lime scale from the kettle, can anyone give me some kind of input on this? I read a long time ago boiling removes certain things but ive never been sure if thats a good thing in a planted tank? Any input on this matter would be certainly appreciated. I will update with my tank readings shorly. What are other peoples TDS readings in the UK? thanks!

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine is 330 (Texas). I wouldn't expect temp change to affect this number much. Boiling I suspect would leave behind the minerals and reduced volume 'slightly'.. I would actually guess it would increase. I got a B in chemistry in college, so take my assumptions with a grain of salt... (haha, pun intended)

ladylouroll

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@TexasGuppy I just checked both of my tanks my main tank sits at 370 & my Q tank is 383.
and the boiling water left to sit is now at 26c (thats currently my room temp so wont be able to test cooler until later) and down to 286. Haha im like a kid with a new toy. It does seem strange there is this big a difference! May have to test the PH in a mo on the standing water and again when its cooled, no idea if that changes much during boiling? I find all this very interesting! Since my water comes through chalk hills maybe that is what is making such a big difference?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Boiling the water if anything will make them go up since the volume of the water goes down but the tds stay behind. Hot water tends to be higher since people tend to not maintain their hot water heaters (yearly flush) so it gets a build up. Personally i dont think its a critical number unless you are like me and stretch out your water changes. Normal tank maintenance will keep your tank close to your tap.

ladylouroll

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats what im finding odd after the cooling boiled waters TDS is almost 100 lower than my Q tank that got a 50% w/c yesterday when id usually put my tap at the temp i wanted straight away but yesterday made their w/c with only hot water (as i needed to pop to the shop so could allow it to cool) i also like popping in a bit of Poly-Filter to help absorb any nasties before adding prime and into the tank. If i can make my water slightly less like rock by boiling it then that seems like a pretty good idea my kettle is about 4 months old shame boiling in a pan wouldnt have the same effect no element for the scale to stick to (im guessing thats where the drop is whatever sticks to the element, thats why boiling in a pan wouldnt work as you say it would boiler vapour off and leave the soilds and make it higher if anything) . The reason i am suspecting my hot water/boiler is because i moved house literally 6 doors down the road and my hardness shot up alot since its so close and i had a fair amount of fatalaties. i no a fair amount of fishy people who lost fish within a week or two around mine living very closely to me after doing their routine w/c. That makes me think either something has happened to our areas tap water i mean i lost BBG and another person lost mollys so fish that should be fine at the harder water end but seemingly something seemed up as 2 of the fish keepers hadnt lost a fish in a year and just over a year. hence buying the TDS meter, i emailed our water provider but as expected they said all is fine/werent very helpful. Or thats a coincidence and my hot tap (i do have mixer taps so i refer more to the pipes/boiler) is leaching something into the water. I havent had any deaths after the last few w/c so im hoping whatever it was is gone but still would like to work out what is going on. I will see if i can find a GH/KH test kit (i ran out yesterday) and test the boiled/cooled water to see what the correlation is soon hopefully. thanks for the input.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom