TDS Levels & GH/KH Dosing

huyndreds

Hi all!

This morning I had tested the TDS levels in my neocaridina tank & it came out to be around 486 ppm. (Originally I had it around 215 ppm) so not sure what happened there, but I've done a 30% water change at least 5x today with RO water and the TDS levels still remain high (hovering around 380 ppm) Is there any reason why the TDS levels aren't lowering?
Also, I've recently purchased salty shrimp kh/gh+ supplement to help increase KH and GH levels for water changes, but I am still unsure how to use this. Do I add the Kh/GH+ into every water change I do?
Thanks in advance.

MacZ

TDS do not only measure KH and GH, but a lot of stuff. Hence Total Dissolved Solids. This can include minerals, salts, nitrates, tannins...
Test your untreated RO, could be you need a new membrane. RO should have TDS below 50ppm or conductivity below 20µSI.
Also check whether there is anything in your tank that might leach minerals into the water (Substrate? Rocks? Cuttlebone?).

The minerals would have to be used every time you do a waterchange, when you do a wc with untreated RO you dilute everything, lowering GH and KH linear (50:50 cuts in half, 75:25 cuts to 1/3 etc.)

huyndreds

MacZ said:
TDS do not only measure KH and GH, but a lot of stuff. Hence Total Dissolved Solids. This can include minerals, salts, nitrates, tannins...
Test your untreated RO, could be you need a new membrane. RO should have TDS below 50ppm or conductivity below 20µSI.
Also check whether there is anything in your tank that might leach minerals into the water (Substrate? Rocks? Cuttlebone?).

The minerals would have to be used every time you do a waterchange, when you do a wc with untreated RO you dilute everything, lowering GH and KH linear (50:50 cuts in half, 75:25 cuts to 1/3 etc.)
The untreated RO water measures around 4 ppm
I realized I did leave a piece of cuttlebone in the water so I will be taking that out completely.
Fluval Stratum is what I use for substrate & ohko/dragon stone is what I use for hardscape.

will keep that in mind, thank you so much.

MacZ

I have no experience with soil like stratum, but I know in principle it can raise TDS as it can leach nutrients to the water. Cuttlebone does leach stuff for sure.

Now for the rocks. Can you post a picture? Lately a lot of people said they had dragonstone in their tanks, but it turned out they had been sold limestone as dragonstone. Real dragon stone is inert, but the fake ones leach minerals.

huyndreds

MacZ said:
I have no experience with soil like stratum, but I know in principle it can raise TDS as it can leach nutrients to the water. Cuttlebone does leach stuff for sure.

Now for the rocks. Can you post a picture? Lately a lot of people said they had dragonstone in their tanks, but it turned out they had been sold limestone as dragonstone. Real dragon stone is inert, but the fake ones leach minerals.
Sorry correction, I am using Seachem Fluorite (idk why I thought it was stratum xD)
But as for the dragon stone, I will post up a picture now. I’m not sure if you can see the rocks since it’ll be covered in moss, but I have included pics of it in the early stages.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom