10 Gallon Tank Tb disinfection

Megansly
Hello all! I've been reading many of the different posts referring to fish tb and still have not found an exact answer so I thought I'd ask it myself.
My fish very obviously have tb. So of course I'm going to have to get rid of them as well as the decor, gravel and filter. BUT my question is:
Is it absolutely possible to disinfect my tank for future use with healthy fish? Has anyone done this before with luck? If so, what do i use and how much? Anyone have a step by step on how to do this if it is possible??

I'm still new to the hobby and I've been a wreck since finding out I have to let my babies go (I've raised them all from birth) so any help would be greatly appreciated!

alven
Greetings and welcome to Fishlore! Nice to have you.

I'm no fish disease expert but I'm sure this article that one of our experienced members wrote will help you better on TB.
Link --> Wasting Disease/Fish TB

Rose of Sharon
I have experience with fish TB, unfortunatley.
I just posted an article about it in the article section titled Wasting disease/Fish TB.

You should get rid of all of the filter media, substrate/gravel, and any plants that might be in the tank. If you have hard decor, you may be able to save some of that if you can soak it in a bleach/water mixture, and the bleach doesn't leach into the decor.

I tried it with silk plants, but I ended up throwing all of those away.

I cleaned the filter in the same way, by soaking it with a water/bleach mixture, and then rinsing it thoroughly numerous times.

You can disinfect with bleach, but TB is very hard to kill. I soaked my tank with bleach and water for a few days, and rinsed it out very thoroughly. I then did it again for a few more days, and rinsed numberous times. Over time, the mycobacterium will die. It can't survive in a glass tank with nothing to feed off of or hang on to.

If you have a gravel vac, I would replace that. I kept mine, but I have a certain kind that allowed me to run a mixture of bleach and water through it. I made sure to hit every available space on the inside and outside, too. I did that numerous times, too.

You will basically be starting over, but you can keep your tank, filter, and possibly decor.

Megansly
Rose of Sharon said:
I just posted an article about it in the article section titled Wasting disease/Fish TB.

You should get rid of all of the filter media, substrate/gravel, and any plants that might be in the tank. If you have hard decor, you may be able to save some of that if you can soak it in a bleach/water mixture, and the bleach doesn't leach into the decor.

I cleaned the filter in the same way, by soaking it with a water/bleach mixture, and then rinsing it thoroughly numerous times.

You can disinfect with bleach, but TB is very hard to kill. I soaked my tank with bleach and water for a few days, and rinsed it out very thoroughly. I then did it again for a few more days, and rinsed numberous times. Over time, the mycobacterium will die. It can't survive in a glass tank with nothing to feed off of or hang on to.

If you have a gravel vac, I would replace that. I kept mine, but I have a certain kind that allowed me to run a mixture of bleach and water through it. I made sure to hit every available space on the inside and outside, too. I did that numerous times, too.

You will basically be starting over, but you can keep your tank, filter, and possibly decor.
Rose of Sharon said:

Thank you so much for your reply! This article is actually the most helpful I've found after googling and making phone calls for a week. I think I'll go ahead and toss my gravel and the one silk plant I have and the filter. The rest I have can be soaked in the bleach water with the tank.
When I can get a new filter I'll go back to using my 5 gallon tank (I know it's not contaminated) and start over.
Thank you again for your help!

Rose of Sharon
Megansly said:
Thank you so much for your reply! This article is actually the most helpful I've found after googling and making phone calls for a week. I think I'll go ahead and toss my gravel and the one silk plant I have and the filter. The rest I have can be soaked in the bleach water with the tank.
When I can get a new filter I'll go back to using my 5 gallon tank (I know it's not contaminated) and start over.
Thank you again for your help!
You are very wlecome. I was in the same situation not too long ago, and could not find what I needed. Thats when I decided to do my own research project and make the info available to others.

It's heart-breaking to lose all of your aqua babies at one time!

I wish you the best of luck on your next project!

Latest threads

Top Bottom