tattoo/color dying fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PuffPuff, Jul 11, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

Recently, a new practice has been to tattoo a fish. This is different from the injection of paint in that a tattoo gun is used, rather than a hypodermic, and the dye is located in layers of the fish's skin, rather than completely underneath it. This has been responsible for the hearts, flags, and other patterns found on mollies, gouramies, blood parrot cichlids, and essentially anything else that will hold still. The so-called "Lipstick Parrots" have bright red dye tattooed around their lips: this practice is sometimes seen for gouramies and other fish as well.

i seen a youtube video of some crazy fish store in another country where they tattoo on the fishes scales anything you want.
    I think that crazy and so terrible. just wanted to let everyone know what i saw on youtube recently.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  2. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

Unfortunately it's not a new practice. If anything it was more common to see such fish 15-20 years ago.

3. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

I didnt know about that. and now that i think about it, i have glo tetra's ugghh.

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Wow, that's just not right. I feel sorry for those fish, I really do.

PuffPuff, I don't think glofish are injected or tattooed or dyed, I may be wrong, but I think they were, yes, born that way.   According to this, it's genes.

5. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

oh good!! i didnt want to be part of animal cruelty. (breathing less heavy..)

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

7. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

No worries with the glofish. They're genetically modified not dyed.

8. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I have heard a lot of people in China that can afford flowerhorns that tattoo their fish. They're supposed to be lucky fish and a sign of good feng shui.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

yeah thats exactly what im talking about. suppose to be good luck and the flowerhorn is the fish of choice for it.
    high five there Dom90:;rocker

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice