Tasty Things To Feed Your Fish

1. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

I want to know what are some safe things to feed my little buddies. I want them to have a nice wide variety of things so they're happy and don't get bored with the same thing everyday.

I have bettas, Platies, swordtails, panda corries, julii Cory, a goldfish, and some ghost shrimp.

I also have pond snails and ramshorn snails that I took out of my tank and am keeping in their own container for research.

For their main dry foods I have tropical flakes, betta specific pellets, algea wafers, freeze dried brine shrimp, and freeze dried bloodworms (I know to always soak them beforehand)

I am looking into setting up some cultures for live foods but outside of vinegar eels I'm not sure which the easier best ones to do are.

I have already tried the following;

Apples - okay

Carrots - most ignore but Pluto (betta) LOVES carrots even though I know he's not supposed to have them but he's in the community tank so I can't keep him from them

Peas - major yes from everyone

White potatoes - no thanks from my fish but the snails can't get enough of it

Romane lettuce - no... Just no. Even my snails don't seem to like it much but there's small periods they change their minds and are all over it

Cabbage - yes from everyone especially Pluto

Will be trying sweet potatoes, zucchini, and bananas this week

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Live mosquito larvae is a favorite among all of my fish.

3. OP
    OP
    luckdown

I heard fish love that but I have no idea how I would get them lol

4. sloughdog

sloughdog Well Known Member Member

To get mosquito larvae just set out a shallow pan or bucket of water in the spring through summer and before you know it, there will be little black squiggly things in there. Just scoop them out and let loose in your tank. Your fish will enjoy hunting them down and eating them.

5. sloughdog

sloughdog Well Known Member Member

I just collected a ton of midge larvae, aka bloodworms, yesterday. I got them from a creek and pond with a lot of leaf litter. All you do is scoop up piles of leaves/muck from the creek bed and if it’s quality water, there will be 1000’s of tiny little red “worms”. I throw everything in a 5 gallon bucket with the creek water, throw in an air stone and when I want some, just grab a handful of leaf/much and pick the bloodworms out. Rinse them and put into the tank.

6. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Ooo okay. I won't have to worry about them getting sick from it?

I was trying this fruit that Ive never seen before and don't know the name of. It tasted like a watermelon berry thing so I cut up tiny pieces and gave some to my fish. Whatever it was they couldn't get enough of it!

Here's a picture of it peeled and cut in half

Attached Files:

7. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Another good treat is freeze dried krill.

Crush it up in your hand and it is usually small enough for any fish to eat.
    It works with Tetra's jumbo krill but I'm not sure about other brands.

8. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Oooo I'll have to get some of that! While I was looking at where to get it I saw crickets and mealworms in the fish food section. I'm tempted to try those as well.

I found out the name of that fruit! It's a cactus pear. I'm gonna grab a few more and use the food processor to cut it into tiny pieces and put it into an ice tray to freeze it so I can have some for the future as well.

My dad wants me to pick up shrimp so I'm gonna do that with a few shrimps as well but soak them in a garlic water mixture. I think that'll be what I give the bettas tomorrow :3

I might do this with the rest of the leftover carrots before they go bad too.

My manager thinks I'm spoiling them too much lmao but she's very happy about it cuz I'm going to be taking her fish since she no longer wants him.

I'm kind of tempted to make a little mix of things for days I want them to have a bit of everything. (Probably garlic days)

9. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Ended up going all out on making the fish food lol. I used shrimp, tilapia, mussels, carrots, cabbage, romane lettuce, spinach, peas, sweet potato, cactus pear, apple minced garlic boiled in water and I think that's it.

It looks sooo nasty but I tasted a tiny bit it actually tastes pretty good it's an interesting sort of sweet.

Even though I used very little of each ingredient it ended up making a TON of food. So they'll be set for a good while since I'm only going to feed them this up to twice a week.

I will let you know how they like it when I try it out tomorrow. Hopefully they enjoy it.

Attached Files:

10. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

I'm about to buy a culture starter of grindal worms. Fish seem to like them.

11. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Ooo are those hard to raise?

I want to start cultures so I can freeze my own and not have to worry too much about running out of food if they all die off. And to have live food for my fry. But this isn't something I'm gonna be able to do for a while. I'm still collecting containers then I gotta find a place I can set it up - which will have to be outside of my room most likely which is a bit of a problem

12. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

They seem to be very easy to raise amd they keep reproducing. I have seen some videos on YouTube.

I tried banana worms, but they are so tiny amd only the Neon Tetras went after them.

13. Renee717

Renee717 Valued Member Member

I bought a tub of fishing worms to put in my strawberry barrel. The idea is for the worms to fertilize the strawberries. Anyway, my son opened the lid and there were TONS of skinny baby? worms. I had him rinse them off first but the discus went crazy for them. Just a thought. I keep a coffee can of veggie ends etc and grind them up in the Ninja to feed the worms. They are happy little campers!

14. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Hmm okay, gonna try that then :3 thanks!

Ooo I've been thinking of doing some earthworms or something and having a worm farm outside

15. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Live brine shrimp ! Aka sea monkeys. My fish go NUTS and love chasing them 20180519_105828.jpg 20180519_105820.jpg

16. skilletlicker

skilletlicker Valued Member Member

Sara and Maybelle's all-time favorite vegetable treat are beet leaves. No joke; they love them!
    BeetLeaf.jpg
    For occasional protein treats they enjoy red worms.
    RedWigglerProteinTreat.JPG
    rsz_red_wiggler.jpg

17. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Doritos. They seem to prefer the cool ranch... Just kidding ;)

Frozen blood worms are always a big hit with our fish. But only feed them once a week.

Freeze dried foods do not go over well with our fish.

18. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

I keep a culture of grindal worms (my betta and gouramis love these), microworms (a favourite of my chili rasbora). As it is summer approaching summer in the northern hemisphere you could also culture som daphnia outside.

19. Sakura48

Sakura48 Fishlore VIP Member

I feed my bettas occasional woodlice from outside, they love it!

20. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

Nori is a big hit with most of my fish. I use the organic supermarket stuff. So are daphnia.