Tapwater high in phosphates

doogy_7

Tank is 5 months old now and all is well expect this green growing on the bottom of the tank. A little is forming on the plants. 55 gallon saltwater tank. Fish are great, (2 clownfish, 2 damsels, and 2 crabs). Good filteration etc... My local pet store tested my tap water and said that it is high in phosphates. But my tank water looks good. Any suggestions for solving this problem? The ultimate goal is to get rid of the green gunk. The pet store is telling me based on the history of this tank, that sometimes this happens when a tank is "healty", but my tap water could be the cause.

30yrfishguy

protien skimmers help to rid the saltwater of phosphates, there are also many phos target resisns on the market today that can help with that also. a saltwater cleaner crew may also be the trick to rid yourself of the algae. you don't mention if this is a fish only setup or a fowlr[fish only with live rock]. I also am not sure which cleaner pack crew would be compatable with your set up, a task you have to reseach, but many online retailers have cleaner crew pacs of specimens that will keep your salt tank imaculate. hope this helps ...john

doogy_7

Sorry fish only tank
Canister Filter Marineland C-220
AquaClear Power Filter on back of tank
(2 Crabs added last month for a clean up crew)
Also a Koralia 600gph turbo pump for flow

30yrfishguy

most crabs are detrious feeders, scavangers basically and prefer detrious to algae. so if you don't actually see your species of crab eating the algae chances are they are not. a lot of shrimp species can really put a hurtin on that algae bed. and in todays world many beautiful and colorful shrimp are available and you don't have to sell your first born for em either lol gl ...john

sgould

The tap water in my area has phosphates too. I run a phos-zorb pad in my canister, changed out every month.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelfish5765
Replies
Views
JimTheFishGuy
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views