Tapping On Tank Anoyence

1. fish time

fish time Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone it least every year for Christmas or thanksgiving my house gets visitors like little cousins grandparents or even relatives it is a very nice thing that happens it's just that I get kicked out of my room and I have to give up my bed and room (kinda like a guest room) so it is quite anoying because I remember one morning I came in and I saw that a relative was tapping on the glass as if you are at Walmart seeing kids tapping on glass I try not to be rude though and I say please don't tap the glass and they stop so I just wanted to ask if any of you ever have a simaler encounter

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

No, I haven't. Try explaining that they shouldn't tap on the glass so they don't stress out the fish.

3. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I have this encounter several times a day. I work in a public sector with a 100 gal tank in my view.
    There is a sign at the aquarium not to touch but lots of kids and adults tap on the glass nevertheless.
    I always ask them to stop and let them know that it affects their well-being and that they will get sick from stress.
    Maybe if you put a note on your tank explaining how stressful it is .....

4. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

If they treat your room like a store, treat them like customers.

Put up a "do not tap on glass" sign.

5. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

and put a whole sheet about why tapping on glass is bad for the fish.
    Or just say that tapping can break the glass...:banghead:

6. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

I would try to get their attention with a sign - and make it relatable.

People might ignore "please do not tap glass".

But they might pause for a moment and think if they read "tapping on the glass gives us a headache!" or something along those lines.

7. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I have had an experience with this.
    My relatives visited, and their 2yr old smacked the glass repeatedly with her hand.
    Ugh, it's nerving.

8. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Nope, no one has ever tapped the glass on my tank. Except me, usually because I want them to come out or are ignoring me. They don't react at all to it.

9. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Ive taught my fish that when someone taps on the glass (me) they get fed. The bottom feeders come out then do that eveyone gets fed. My dad tapped on the glass once and my goldfish went nuts thinking he was gonna get fed. ;)

10. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I've taught both my nieces that it scares the fish when they tap on the glass (so now they rest fingers on the glass asking what which fish's name is lol, not scientific, but what i have named them). I find that is the easiest way for smaller kids to understand it is not good for the fish as most of them know what being scared is, even if it was just someone going "boo". My family knows better than to mess with the tanks, I am pretty much the only one that goes even wrist deep into them (or armpit in the case of the bigger ones and shoulder in the case of the pond).