Tap Water Treatment

david00061

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I filled my 500 gallon tank with a r/0 unit. I have a 40 gallon sump with 50 bags of bio disk. The bio disk were in a buddies Cichlid for a month. Tank has cycled.
Now I think I want to remove my pea gravel. My question is can I drain save 100 gallons or so. Replace gravel with black diamond sand. Fill with tap water and just treat the water? If so what is best to treat water. And add fish back all in the same day

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes you can. Seachem prime is the best water conditioner IMO, but any dechlorinator will work.

If you're using straight R/O though you don't need any kind of water treatment, you just need something to replenish the water with minerals.

david00061

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MikeRad89 said:
Yes you can. Seachem prime is the best water conditioner IMO, but any dechlorinator will work.

If you're using straight R/O though you don't need any kind of water treatment, you just need something to replenish the water with minerals.
i wont be using r/o this time. it takes a week to fill it.

david00061

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fill it up then add add dechlor? it may take a day to get it up to temp. Should i move bio disk to barrow with the fish till I'm ready to re add the fish.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as the media is wet and the fish are in a bin or other tank connected to that sump they'll be fine. The BB won't die.

Best advice would be to buy a plastic tote, fill it with tank water, hook up your sump to it. Drain your tank, change the substrate, add dechlorinator, fill the tank, and add the filtration and fish back to the 500.

david00061

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MikeRad89 said:
As long as the media is wet and the fish are in a bin or other tank connected to that sump they'll be fine. The BB won't die.

Best advice would be to buy a plastic tote, fill it with tank water, hook up your sump to it. Drain your tank, change the substrate, add dechlorinator, fill the tank, and add the filtration and fish back to the 500.
Thanks. I plan on live bearers. Guppies, Mollies, sward-tail, platies, and a schooling tetra.

david00061

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MikeRad89 said:

20180511_195327.jpg
20180511_195259.jpg

Attachments

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice monster tank. I'd recommend Seachem Safe for your water conditioner. I just discovered that it's the powder version of Prime. One KG is like $27 on Amazon. 5g treats like 300-500 gallons depending on the chlorine and or chloramine levels. Obviously you don't need that much since you use the R/O unit usually but just giving you info if you want to use conditioner in the future and bypass the unit for faster water changes.

So for a one time use, you could get a bottle of prime but the small bottle costs half the price of Safe on Amazon. 500 ML bottle: 5ml treats 50 gallons.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom