Tap water shows ammonia, is it safe to use?

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by edgardcafe, Jun 29, 2016.

1. edgardcafe

edgardcafeValued MemberMember

I want to do a WC ..but my tap water keeping showing ammonia ..I added Prime and the water from the tap is at the bucket for 2 days...it's safe to use it ?

2. NikkiHill0509Valued MemberMember

Some water treatment plants will add ammonia as well as chlorine to the water to clean it. Not so great for fish. How high is the ammonia in the tap water? If it's fairly low, you're filter should be able to process it pretty quickly. All my fish I had in high school were fine with the ammonia in my tap water except for my puffer. His tank got bottled spring water from the store. Prime binds the ammonia and makes it less harmful for the fish. If it's just a little, you'll be fine. If it's really high, you might want to consider buying bottled water.

3. OP
    OP
    edgardcafe

Yesterday I added on the bucked 50% spring water and 50% tap water and added prime..show .50 ammonia (API test).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  4. peregrine

peregrineValued MemberMember

If you used Prime, it will still show as ammonia in your test. Prime locks up the ammonia into the less toxic ammonium (NO4) but will still show in the tests because the tests look at ammonia and ammonium.

5. OP
    OP
    edgardcafe

So... I guess it's safe to do water change.. I will do this afternoon..thanks for explain it !

6. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Hi, if there is chloramines in your tap water which is made up of ammonia and chlorine, then when the bond is broken by prime you will be left with an ammonia reading. Ammonia unlike chlorine does not off gas so setting it out won't help you. As long as you dose prime for the full volume of the tank that amount will be converted once you're cycled.

How long has the tank been setup? What size? How many fish? Would you test your tank for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph and post them?

7. OP
    OP
    edgardcafe

I have my 10 gallon tank for around 2 months now..I used to have 8 guppies 2 males and 6 females.. Unfortunately they all died cause Fin rot! But one female before died she had fry and those fry guppies just survive 2 that I have now ..they're looking happy and bigger every day ..I'm doing my best to keep they healthy! I feed them with Hikari fancy guppy, Spirulina brine shrimp and Omega one flakes.
    Well ..yesterday I did not do water changed I will do it today I have everything set up to do it ..I tested the bucked water today for ammonia is 0,
    On my tank Ammnia is little bit less of 0.25 ..and the nitrites is 0.25 and nitrates I guess is 0.20 ..the color is very dark yellow not orange. The pH is 7.6
    I gonna clean the live plants and vacuum today and 20% water changed..I have the water in the bucket since Tuesday ( 50% tap water 50% spring water) I will add some prime and AquaSafe Plus.
    Ohhh since 06/23 I added a medicated wonder shell and ParaGuard also took the carbon out of the filter...after cleaning I will but back a new activated carbon Aquaclear filter ( I have the AquaClear 20 for my 10 gallon).

This is my aquarium before I clean and change the water.
    [​IMG]

And this the 2.5 gallon that I will add to the my tank.I'm waiting for the temperature match the aquarium..
    [​IMG]

8. CindiL

Are you doing the water change weekly? If not you should be and gravel vacuum at the same time. They need the fresh water ongoing.

Do you have any nitrites in your tap water also?

Have you thrown out any filter media recently?

A cycled tank should show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrates. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? I would read up on it.

The Aqua Clear is a great filter and though they tell you to replace the sponge or bio-max periodically, you do not need to replace them until they start falling apart. They just do that to make money :eek:

As long as you have ammonia and nitrites in your tank I would dose prime every 24 hours for the full volume of the tank.

You don't need to dose both prime and aqua safe, just prime is fine. Dose for the whole 10g, not just the bucket.

Make sure you rinse your filter media in old tank water every week or two (like in the bucket of old water) and not under tap water which will kill off the nitrifyers keeping your tank safe.

9. OP
    OP
    edgardcafe

I know about nitrogen cycle... but I did a mistake several weeks ago. When I bought the aquarium with come with tetra 10 filter (on the picture with the bucked) after 2 or 3 weeks I bought a new filter AquaClear and thrown out the older filter media.

This is my tap water Ammonia and nitrites test.
    Nitrites 0
    Ammnia 1.0 ppm

BTW thank you for the advices is always appreciate!

10. jamielandsNew MemberMember

My old township used to have 0.50pmm ammonia in the tap water, and it made cycling very hard. When you do a water change you're still adding ammonia to the system in the new water, which further feeds the nitrites, etc. I used to do big water changes to bring nitrites down, which would just lead to more nitrite spikes. I ended up getting through it by doing many small water changes (unless levels were crazy), and using a double dose of prime. The good thing is that once youre finally cycled you have a really strong bacteria colony, and the ammonia in any new tap water you add with water changes is quickly eliminated, especially if you have live plants as a buffer. Once I was finally cycled I never had a single problem with the ammonia in the tap water. Prime is worth it's weight in gold.

It's a much harder cycling process, but once you get through you're good!

11. OP
    OP
    edgardcafe

Yesterday afternoon I did 20% water changed...and this morning looks like this
    Ammonia Little bit less than 0.25
    Nitrite 0.25
    Nitrate the color is dark yellow ..almost orange.
    PH 7.6
    Temperature 75 F
    What should I do?
    I already added Prime this morning.
    My 2 guppies looks healthy!

12. CindiL

Looks good, your cycle is finishing up. I would dose prime every 24-48 hours as long as you show the nitrites. If they climb higher towards .50 I would do a partial water change. Since your tap has the ammonia I wouldn't let them climb higher than that as you'll be adding the ammonia back in though removing the nitrites. Hopefully they will finish up and go away soon.

13. OP
    OP
    edgardcafe

Thank you ..good to hear that !

14. OP
    OP
    edgardcafe

Good to hear that !! Thanks

15. OP
    OP
    edgardcafe

Hello!!
    Just now I tested the water and show

Ammonia 0.25 or little bit less
    Nitrites 0.25 little bit less than yesterday
    And
    Finally some Nitrates !!!!!! 5.0 ppm

I'm happy with the results!!!

Almost there !!!

16. OP
    OP
    edgardcafe

And today results are almost 100% cycle!

17. CindiL

Congratulations!

18. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

WOOHOO your there! That's what we like to see

19. OP
    OP
    edgardcafe

Now what ? Just keeping swimming...lol
    just have 2 guppies I think they are females and 1 month old (since they're fry)
    Do I have to wait the nitrates to go up and schedule CW? How can I keep the water always like the results ?

20. peregrine

peregrineValued MemberMember

Now that it's cycled it should pretty much stay that way, as long as you don't kill your Beneficial bacteria. Basically once a week do a PWC and rinse our your filter media in old tank water. Then put it back in. Should keep it like that for a long time to come.

EDIT Not to Now because I suck at typing apparently))

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice