Tap Water Safe For Filling Goldfish Tank?

bio-tech1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello,
ok, so i have my 3 goldies in a 15 gal. I know this is way to small. But i got them as fry and it was a good size at the time so i could be sure they were eating. I am doing an upgrade to a 45 gal. this is also temporary, when i move i hope to get them a 80 gal. Anyway, i was wondering how i fill it up? I have only perviously have 1 gals, 5 gals, 10 gals, and 15 gals. So i have just filled them up with 1 gal purified water jugs from the grocery store. I however can not buy 45 of them to fill up the new tank. Will using tap water from the sink be safe to use? I will use the 15 gals they are currently in which is cycled. I will be cycling it with a filter for a week before they go in. Is there any other things i can do to make it safe?
Also. what water could i use for water changes?
Thanks!

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you say you will be cycling for a week with a filter, do you mean seeding it with a cycled filter media? Using the water they are already in will not help cycle the new tank as very little bacteria lives in the water. If you seed the tank with cycled media, you probably need to leave it in for several weeks.

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I was working on my tank cycle, I learned you can mess it up by using a water conditioner that neutralizes ammonia/nitrites (which makes sense, because the bacteria eat these chemicals and without them, they won't grow properly). After a lot of very specific reading, I found that API StressCoat+ will neutralize chlorine and chloramines without messing with the ammonia or nitrites. It's what I've been using so far, (my tank has only had fish for a week, but I spent a month cycling). After everything is more established I'll switch to my bottle of Seachem Prime... but for now I want to give my beneficial bacteria more time to get established.

~G

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since your fish has been living in purified water (I'm assuming RO), a sudden change to tap may be too big a change. How about ease them into tap water thru a month's period? As @Adrian Burke mentioned, you must treat tap water with a conditioner (NOTE: aging the water for 24hrs does not get rid of chloramines, so you should use a conditioner unless you know more about your tap water).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom