Tap Water Reading Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TetraKing101, Apr 23, 2019.

1. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

I just got my first test liquid test kit ( API ) I know I know when you set up your tanks you have to have a test kit and I already have multiple tanks running flawlessly. I have only got my tap water tested by the pet store and I learn later that there tests are inaccurate I originally though my tap water was good no ammonia no nitrates well I was wrong here are my reading

Tap water
    Ph 7.4-7.6
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 5.0 ppm
    Ammonia 0.50 ppm

Should I just continue on with what I do or change things up to get ammonia and nitrates lower. I’m not to worried about the nitrates as I do at least 3-4 30-50 percent water changes weekly more worried about the ammonia

2. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

A well established filter full of beneficial bacteria should be able to handle that ammonia. I have .25-.5 ammonia in my tap depending on the day. When I do a huge water change, the ammonia I added from the tap is gone in less than 24 hours. So if you are using prime as your dechlorinator, the fish are protected during the time that the ammonia is present.

I even do large DAILY water changes on my grow out tanks using my tap water!

As long as your tanks are well established, you shouldn't have any issues.

3. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

I don’t us prime but my tank has been running for 2 years and how long would I have to cycle a tank to Handle that because I’m setting up a 65 soon

4. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

If you have well established tanks already, you should be able to instantly cycle the 65g.

I suggest picking up some prime. It is a nice feeling of security for me, knowing that my fish are not being harmed by the small amounts of ammonia in my tap.

5. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

I was going to start using prime anyways so it works out thanks for the advice

6. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

If possible, you should let the filter you plan on using in the 65 start running on one of your other tanks. That will allow it to start growing bacteria, then when you set up the 65 just move the filter over and you'll be instantly cycled (if the filter was run long enough). Not positive on the time line for the new filter to seed. I've seen opinions on the forum say 2 weeks - a month.

7. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

The reason for conflicting answers to this question is due to circumstances. If you are seeding a filter for a single betta in a small tank, maybe two weeks. If you are seeding a filter for a heavier stock and/or a larger tank, I would suggest a minimum of 4 weeks.

The problem is that there are very few black and white answers when it comes to fish keeping. If any!! So people need to be careful when giving their "opinion" and elaborate on the circumstances that made them come to their conclusion. 2 weeks may have "worked for them" but it doesn't mean it is the most accurate answer for the person asking the question.

8. TetraKing101Valued MemberMember

I was thinking it might take 2-4 weeks cause I’m going to have most of the tank stocked. I’m going to us my bio media from other tanks to help with that