Tap Water Question

Can I use tap water with conditioner as a ammonia source

• Should I use tetra conditioner and not prime with fishless cycle bc prime detoxes ammonia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is there other reason that arent harmful to fish that make ammonia test positive

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Meganrae8148

Valued Member
Reaction score
Multiple test performed on my tap water shows 2ppm of ammonia with dechlorinator or any added chemicals even after dechlorinator with prime no change in 2ppm even both cold and hot tap water test 2ppm no matter what even if for 24 hours I leave the water setting still tests at 2ppm does this mean I can use my tap water with dechlorinator as a ammonia source for a fishless cycling tank are there other reason it shows positive for ammonia can temp alter ammonia levels

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What method of testing are you using?

Theoretically, yes you can use your tap as a source of ammonia. You will need additional ammonia though, as you'll want to cycle your tank to consume not only the ammonia in your tap, but the ammonia your bioload will produce. So it will need to process more than 2 ppm

Meganrae8148

Valued Member
Reaction score
AngryRainbow said:
What method of testing are you using?

Theoretically, yes you can use your tap as a source of ammonia. You will need additional ammonia though, as you'll want to cycle your tank to consume not only the ammonia in your tap, but the ammonia your bioload will produce. So it will need to process more than 2 ppm
Api Iiquid tester kit also used fish food but made a different post about that n was told to vac it out n use liquid ammonia from dr tim

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Theoretically, yes. If you have chloramine in your tap water and de-chlorinate it, you'll be left with ammonia. Try this and see how much ammonia you have. My guess is it won't be more than 1 ppm.

I prefer to use more ammonia in fishless cycles but what you're suggesting would work...

Meganrae8148

Valued Member
Reaction score
ystrout said:
Theoretically, yes. If you have chloramine in your tap water and de-chlorinate it, you'll be left with ammonia. Try this and see how much ammonia you have. My guess is it won't be more than 1 ppm.

I prefer to use more ammonia in fishless cycles but what you're suggesting would work...
Yes that's what I'm trying to achieve so theoretically like a comment said I could use my tap bc its registering 2ppm as a ammonia source if I were to get one betta or very few fish which I planned to get 3 guppys all girls once tank is cycled it's a small 10 gal tank but I could use my tap as a ammonia source for the fishless cycle?

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Meganrae8148 said:
Yes that's what I'm trying to achieve so theoretically like a comment said I could use my tap bc its registering 2ppm as a ammonia source if I were to get one betta or very few fish which I planned to get 3 guppys all girls once tank is cycled it's a small 10 gal tank but I could use my tap as a ammonia source for the fishless cycle?
Wait I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

Yes, you can cycle your tank with your dechlorinated tap water. 2ppm is a good amount of ammonia so it should cycle pretty well.

If you're asking if you can put a betta with 3 guppies, I wouldn't. Bettas aren't necessarily aggressive like people make them out to be. But if they're put in a tank (under 15 to 20 gallons) with fish with big fins like guppies, there will be problems.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meganrae8148 said:
Multiple test performed on my tap water shows 2ppm of ammonia with dechlorinator or any added chemicals even after dechlorinator with prime no change in 2ppm even both cold and hot tap water test 2ppm no matter what even if for 24 hours I leave the water setting still tests at 2ppm does this mean I can use my tap water with dechlorinator as a ammonia source for a fishless cycling tank are there other reason it shows positive for ammonia can temp alter ammonia levels
Hello Meg...

Just use a product like Seachem's "Safe". You can use one-eighth of a teaspoon in 5 gallons of tap water. The treatment removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. It's nonacidic and doesn't change the water pH. The product is a powder and is concentrated, so you don't need much. So, if your tank has been cycled, just use this powder and change half the tank water every week and you won't need to test the water, ever.

Old

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
oldsalt777 said:
Hello Meg...

Just use a product like Seachem's "Safe". You can use one-eighth of a teaspoon in 5 gallons of tap water. The treatment removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. It's nonacidic and doesn't change the water pH. The product is a powder and is concentrated, so you don't need much. So, if your tank has been cycled, just use this powder and change half the tank water every week and you won't need to test the water, ever.

Old
It won't remove the ammonia, just chlorine and chloramine.

The ammonia will remain, just in non-toxic form for 24 hours.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ystrout said:

Meganrae8148 said:
Yes you can use tap water as an ammonia source. 2ppm from your tap will work fine and be enough to cycle your tank for 1 Betta. I would not put Guppys in with a Betta in less than a 10 gallon tank, and even then, if they're male Guppies especially, you might need some floating plants like Hornwort to break up sightlines. Guppys tend to hang out at the top 1/3 of a tank (same space as a Betta) male Guppys are pretty long-finned, small and very slow. Prime targets for Bettas.

You don't need an ammonia neutralizer like Prime if you're doing fishless cycling. You'll just need a dechlorinator.

Meganrae8148

Valued Member
Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
Yes you can use tap water as an ammonia source. 2ppm from your tap will work fine and be enough to cycle your tank for 1 Betta. I would not put Guppys in with a Betta in less than a 10 gallon tank, and even then, if they're male Guppies especially, you might need some floating plants like Hornwort to break up sightlines. Guppys tend to hang out at the top 1/3 of a tank (same space as a Betta) male Guppys are pretty long-finned, small and very slow. Prime targets for Bettas.

You don't need an ammonia neutralizer like Prime if you're doing fishless cycling. You'll just need a dechlorinator.
Yes I agree that's why I haven't bothered waisting emergency prime on the cycling tank I just use good old tetra safe to get rid of chlormines we have in our water I have been using my tap as ammonia source and decided I want one pea puffer fish think i should add in liquid ammonia or the 2ppm will be enough to handle a pea puffer n some snails my other 10 gallon thats cycled I have 2 female bettas in it and I decided to order 3 gallon tanks from Amazon for the females to have there own tank bc now that they're getting bigger i can see they're irritated with sharing a tank the 3 gal tanks should be here today kinda worried theyll hate it bc they're in a 10 gal but I think right now they just want there own place I ordered from prime to get it today bc they were fughting last night a little u think the 3 gal tanks will be good for them better then sharing a 10 gallon I think theyll enjoy there own space and theyll both have there own 3 gal tank decorated with plants and moss balls was gonna use spare vase I got but it's to skinny to fit my hand it 3gal to me it sounds small but it is a 3 gallon hex tanks for i got 3 for 24$ and since I dont have another sturdy stand thats not being used 3 gal should be enough to sit on my desk without to much wieght at all right n since I got 3 tanks I'll have a spare one incase I need it ever I'm just hoping that 3 gal will be enough for the girls or will I need to invest in 2 actual 5 gal tanks and another aquarium stand to hold the wieght

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You need to add additional ammonia. Your tap water will always have 2ppm in it. The puffer will add additional ammonia on top of that and your bacteria must be able to process all of it, not just the 2ppm in your tap water

Meganrae8148

Valued Member
Reaction score
AngryRainbow said:
You need to add additional ammonia. Your tap water will always have 2ppm in it. The puffer will add additional ammonia on top of that and your bacteria must be able to process all of it, not just the 2ppm in your tap water
Thanks ill start adding dr Tim's ammonia to it I honestly was scared to bc I didnt know how to measure it if I already have some part per million ammonia you know and I didn't know how much ammonia a pea puffer would produce but now I know thanks everyone I'm so new at this I'm 17 n only wanted one big 50 gallon community tank but my mom didnt feel comfortable with that much sitting water in the house so I've been having to get tiny 5 and 10 gallon and try to make something spectacular that'll meet my only aquatic goal a community lol the pea puffer is my aunts fish she wants to get rid of so she can retire fish keeping n I'm preparing my tank for him bc hes cute and I think she was gonna just flush the little guy n put the 5 gal tank in the garage but I told her I'd take him wen my 10 gallon was ready n get him a bunch of snails I do have another 10 gal tank that's going to be empty very soon bc I'm getting 2 3 gallon tanks to separate my female bettas I got 2 n they've lived together a minute but since they're peaking adult hood they hate each other suddently wen they use to rest on the same plant together n thought its be easier to buy them there own tank and decor and keep the 1p gal running for the fish I've always wanted neon tetra love to keep my fish happy but I want a little happiness bc so far this fish keeping journey has drove me crazy all I wanted was one big tank ended up with several small tanks all I wanted was tetra every time i go to the petstore some employee will ask me the tank size soon as I number ten they are redirecting me to bettas saying your best options one male or 2 or 4 females 10 gal isnt good for a community tank like a some fish satin **** n I'm like I just wanted 5 neon tetra nothing else come on now I know next year my moms gonna have to hold me back bc that 50 gal tank with the stand is calling my name I believe fish keeping is a addiction u get one and go crazy

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ystrout said:

Hello ys...

You must be looking at an old label. Mine says "Removes Ammonia". The product also detoxifies nitrite and nitrate.

Old

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meganrae8148 said:
Thanks ill start adding dr Tim's ammonia to it I honestly was scared to bc I didnt know how to measure it if I already have some part per million ammonia you know and I didn't know how much ammonia a pea puffer would produce but now I know thanks everyone I'm so new at this I'm 17 n only wanted one big 50 gallon community tank but my mom didnt feel comfortable with that much sitting water in the house so I've been having to get tiny 5 and 10 gallon and try to make something spectacular that'll meet my only aquatic goal a community lol the pea puffer is my aunts fish she wants to get rid of so she can retire fish keeping n I'm preparing my tank for him bc hes cute and I think she was gonna just flush the little guy n put the 5 gal tank in the garage but I told her I'd take him wen my 10 gallon was ready n get him a bunch of snails I do have another 10 gal tank that's going to be empty very soon bc I'm getting 2 3 gallon tanks to separate my female bettas I got 2 n they've lived together a minute but since they're peaking adult hood they hate each other suddently wen they use to rest on the same plant together n thought its be easier to buy them there own tank and decor and keep the 1p gal running for the fish I've always wanted neon tetra love to keep my fish happy but I want a little happiness bc so far this fish keeping journey has drove me crazy all I wanted was one big tank ended up with several small tanks all I wanted was tetra every time i go to the petstore some employee will ask me the tank size soon as I number ten they are redirecting me to bettas saying your best options one male or 2 or 4 females 10 gal isnt good for a community tank like a some fish satin n I'm like I just wanted 5 neon tetra nothing else come on now I know next year my moms gonna have to hold me back bc that 50 gal tank with the stand is calling my name I believe fish keeping is a addiction u get one and go crazy
Here's a great ammonia calculator. Just plug in the numbers and it will tell you about how many drops or ml of ammonia to add to get your level to where you want it. You just need to know what percentage ammonia Dr. Tim's is. Most janitorial ammonia is 5 OR 10%.
http://spec-tanks.com/ammonia-calculator-aquariums/
You'll want to bring your tank to 3ppm for a single pea puffer. I can't imagine they produce more than 1ppm a day!
Lol, when you're 18, have a job and a bank account and tell your mom you'll pay for any damages if your Tetras "bust out of the tank" I'll bet she'll let you get one!!lol!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oldsalt777 said:
Hello Meg...

Old
https://www.chewy.com/seachem-safe-nitrite-nitrate/dp/131199?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Seachem&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwODlBRDuARIsAMy_28VYPN3jOfAqzAFqsUaBJFuo6XoQeTghnhDEILvd86nZ4ek4As8ZtycaAqfDEALw_wcB
Detoxifies, doesn't remove. It's an alternative to Prime for a cycling tank with fish in it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom