Tap water quality

1. Calum98

Calum98 Valued Member Member

Hi sorry if this is in wrong section, just wondering if anyone could rate my water quality? Is this level of additives safe for my tank or do I need to do somethinf to it before adding it? (obviously I treat the water with water conditioner first) just wondering of the ammonia levels are too high etc
    Here's the readings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

If you use a water conditioner, they all take care of ((actually bind up)) any ammonia usually for 24 - 48 hours. I know Seachem Prime not only does ammonia but also heavy metals. And in any case your ammonia is actually fairly low. So as long as you treat it so it will clear out anything too harmful. One thing I do notice is you might want to get some peat moss, the PH level is a little high, depending on what fish you are planning on having.

on a side note. dang the scottish water information is crazy. Can only get about half that information here.

3. OP
    OP
    Calum98

Thanks for the feedback, I have a big block of bog wood and a small peice of driftwood in tank aswell as multiple plants, and here's information on water hardness if you'd be able to tell me what this means, my area is Lintrathen (no idea why it's that never heard of the place in my life) but are these levels safe aswell?
    1467239348507.jpg
    And I was shocked aswell I was expecting to find maybe the hardness of the water and nothing else but all this information is readily available online if you enter your town :')

4. peregrine

OK assuming I remember my chemistry. Based on that your GH would be about 9.5 and your KH would be about 26

Now I could be TOTALLY wrong as I'm trying to remember formulas from forever ago. But if somene can say I'm right then numbers are right..

GH is Calcium+Magnesium
    KH is the CaCO3

5. OP
    OP
    Calum98

Okay thanks for the advice there, absolute beginner so still grasping all of this, understand the nitrogen cycle fully, just trying to work out the different elements in the water and how they affect fish, ill do a PH test just now on the tank and let you do what it says (done a 30% WC earlier)
    UPDATE: PH Broad range is coming out as 6.5 to 7.0

6. peregrine

7. Genavelle

Genavelle Valued Member Member

Hey can I throw in another question here, instead of making a new thread?

My fiance sent me a message today that I shouldn't drink the tap water, because our area has a "high nitrate advisory" right now. Well I was wondering if that would be a problem for changing the water in my tanks or not?

8. OP
    OP
    Calum98

From what I know, you do water changes in the tank to take out Nitrates, so if your tap water has higher Nitrates than your tank it may be a big problem