tap water ph

zebradaniofan

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have an empty 20 gallon i have been using to treat/heat tap water for water changes in my 55

i want to try to use the 20 gallon for more fish or try to build my own sump for fun

i leave the water sitting out for a day or two because my tap ph comes in at 8.6+

if i do smaller water changes, which i put into the tank immediately after treating, whats a safe percentage to do on the water change?

i also am not sure how many small water changes i would have to do a week in a 8 gallon bucket?

the tap after a day and my tank is steady at ph of 7.4

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would suggest that doing a 5gal water change each day would be the way to go.

Do you know why the PH of your tap water drops over a couple of days? That strikes me as being very unusual. Normally the PH of water left out will rise rather than fall. The only thing I can think of is if your tap water is completely devoid of any co2 but that is quite a big drop & I wouldn't think co2 from the atmosphere could make that much difference.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting article. I just did some very brief research about soda ash as well but can't find any other information aobut it breaking down with exposure to light. Not saying that doesn't happen, just that I didn't find any info about that during my quick search. Sounds like a plausible reason for the PH drop though. I think if I were you I would get another large container to use to age teh water in for a few days, just so you don't upset the balance of things in your aquarium. A couple of 10gal buckets should do the job for you. Either that or go with the small daily water change that I mentioned in my first post.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom