Tap water pH is 8.4, tank is 7.2

Discussion in 'pH' started by trinket, Dec 7, 2012.

1. trinket

trinket Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone. I redid my aquarium after some disease problems earlier this year and things are going okay so far. All that's in the tank this time around is a betta and my ADF on the other side of a divider (I had the frog in another tank but keeping up with cleaning two was hard for me). There's some sand, driftwood and a couple plants.

The betta came from the store with fin rot. I tried adding salt (don't worry, this was before adding frog!), keeping the water super clean, and it didn't help. So I figured it must be bacterial rather than environmental and tried antibiotics (whichever Maracyn that's supposed to work, I know one isn't recommended for fin rot) and didn't notice any improvement.

I re-checked the water and there appears to be no ammonia, no nitrite and very low nitrate.

Checked pH and it's around 7.2 or 7.4 (hard to be clear on the chart) which is fine far as I know. But my tap water starts at 8.4 or so, could this be the problem for my betta? I know fluctuations aren't good but if it levels out to 7.2/7.4 would it still be an issue?

I'm just not sure what to do about the fin rot anymore, it isn't progressing anymore but it isn't getting better either (after a few months now). Sometimes I'll see a bit of regrowth and then the next time I check it's gone. But it isn't getting worse. Could the pH be why the regrowth vanishes, because of water changes?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    trinket

Hmm Kanaplex. I do have some, though I don't know if there's enough left to dose the tank. I suppose I could move the betta to the back up 2 gallon I have to try the Kanaplex separately, I just worry about the added stress from moving from 3/4 of a 24 gallon tank to just 2 gallons.

I have garlic guard but I'm not sure that's safe to use in the tank with the frog in there. I'm hesitant to add anything with the frog, he started acting off after I had started using Fluorite for the plants (though it took me awhile to put the two together) so I just worry about that sort of thing.

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Ph swings from pwcs could be having adverse effects on him. I would check the ph of your tap after the water has sat out for a day and see if its closer to your tank, if it is, then aging water for pwcs may help. If not, then something in the tank is lowering it, normally it takes alot of driftwood to lower your ph unless your kh is also low. It may be worth getting a kh/gh kit to check your hardness, if its low, some coral could increase your buffering capacity and ph in the tank, thus making pwcs less stressful parameter wise.

5. OP
    OP
    trinket

When I have a bit of extra money I'll pick up something to test the hardness. Hmm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice