Tap Water Mixed With Treated Bottled Water

Compatability
My question is I have been using bottled water treated with betta bowl renewal and betta bowl plus, I also add to the tank stress coat and quick start. I have well water with a holding tank and we chlorinate. We do not drink the water, we drink bottled water.
My question : can I do a water change maybe half tank 10 gallon tank and use tap water and treat with prime, or do I have to remove all the water in my tank?

TexasDomer
Why don't you drink the tap water?

Is there a reason you use so many additives with the bottled water? They're unnecessary.

Compatability
Why don't you drink the tap water?

Is there a reason you use so many additives with the bottled water? They're unnecessary.
We don't drink the tap water because it sits in a 175 gallon holding tank until it is used. The well water comes into the holding tank and stays there until it's used.We don't feel its safe for us to drink, so we don't give it to our dogs or our birds.

Rojer Ramjet
You only need prime to condition municipal tap water or during a chemical emergency to detoxify ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. If your well water has ungodly amounts of heavy metals, then you'd use Prime, as it'll detoxify heavy metals, too...

Compatability
You only need prime to condition municipal tap water or during a chemical emergency to detoxify ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. If your well water has ungodly amounts of heavy metals, then you'd use Prime, as it'll detoxify heavy metals, too...
So, not to sound dumb, I could do a half water change which one half that I don't take out is still treated with my chemicals, then add the other half with tap water treated with prime?

So does that mean I can do half water change from our tap ,that has been sitting in the holding tank without treating the tap water I put in my tank? I have to say I'm a bit nervous about that, it's a huge holding tank, actually my son says it's not safe to drink it has no filtration of any kind.

sloughdog
If it were me I wouldn’t use your well water at all for the fish. Secondly, have you had your well water tested? If you don’t know your well water’s parameters, it’s hard to treat it for use. I’m also assuming you don’t cook/do dishes with the well water?

Compatability
If it were me I wouldn’t use your well water at all for the fish. Secondly, have you had your well water tested? If you don’t know your well water’s parameters, it’s hard to treat it for use. I’m also assuming you don’t cook/do dishes with the well water?
Actually we do cook, laundry, and wash dishes with it, our house is an old farmhouse built in the 1800's 4,000 square. Ft the landlord gutted it and it's beautiful, we've been here for 7 yrs, he claims it's safe to drink. It's our preference not to drink it. I'm probably going to just keep using the bottled water, why upset it now since my betta is thriving, even my ONE oto is thriving, can't believe it but it's true! I'll see if I can find him to show you its amazing! Blow up the pic he's on the purple leaf.

Actually we do cook, laundry, and wash dishes with it, our house is an old farmhouse built in the 1800's 4,000 square. Ft the landlord gutted it and it's beautiful, we've been here for 7 yrs, he claims it's safe to drink. It's our preference not to drink it. I'm probably going to just keep using the bottled water, why upset it now since my betta is thriving, even my ONE oto is thriving, can't believe it but it's true! I'll see if I can find him to show you its amazing! Blow up the pic he's on the purple leaf.
here's another one!

Here's another

Attachments

• 15205530724781685924988.jpg
    15205530724781685924988.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 59
  • 1520553684054648027245.jpg
    1520553684054648027245.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 80
Rojer Ramjet
I drank well water most of my life, including brown sludge from my cabin in wonder lake Illinois - it's a wonder they called it a lake... So much iron that my toilet turned orange between flushings and my water heater elements shorted out every other month.

And the department of water quality said it was potable...

Silly, though, true. Take a water sample to the county water department -should cost us nothing to get it analyzed.

sloughdog
Same here. Grew up on well water and currently have well water that is excellent. I know a water engineer that has told people personally he wouldn’t drink the municipal tap water in certain areas because of the chemicals certain water treatment plants use...and he works for the water authority!

Compatability
I drank well water most of my life, including brown sludge from my cabin in wonder lake Illinois - it's a wonder they called it a lake... So much iron that my toilet turned orange between flushings and my water heater elements shorted out every other month.

Silly, though, true. Take a water sample to the county water department -should cost us nothing to get it analyzed.
That sounds so awful, drinking water so dirty and no one got sick from it? So, if I do a 25%water change and I plan on it today, will I be fine to keep the 75% water that's already in there, and take out the 25% and use the tap water? Should I use my water renewal and the betta bowl plus?

sloughdog
I wouldn’t change what you’re doing now until you get your tap water tested.

Compatability
Same here. Grew up on well water and currently have well water that is excellent. I know a water engineer that has told people personally he wouldn’t drink the municipal tap water in certain areas because of the chemicals certain water treatment plants use...and he works for the water authority!
Yes I've heard that, about different places where they don't recommend drinking municipal water, my father worked in Niskayuna NY as a water treatment operator, and it was water that came from a reservoir, he had to add chemicals to the water every day. this is a first for me to have well water. I plan on doing a water change today, I was going to take out 25% so that will leave 75% of the bottled treated water, will it be OK to put in the new tap water in? and should I treat the tap water before I add it to my tank? either with the betta bowl plus, the water renewal, or prime?

This

Rojer Ramjet
That sounds so awful, drinking water so dirty and no one got sick from it? So, if I do a 25%water change and I plan on it today, will I be fine to keep the 75% water that's already in there, and take out the 25% and use the tap water? Should I use my water renewal and the betta bowl plus?

Any changes you make should be done slowly; I'd do 10% today, 10% tomorrow, etc.

Compatability
Yes I've heard that, about different places where they don't recommend drinking municipal water, my father worked in Niskayuna NY as a water treatment operator, and it was water that came from a reservoir, he had to add chemicals to the water every day. this is a first for me to have well water. I plan on doing a water change today, I was going to take out 25% so that will leave 75% of the bottled treated water, will it be OK to put in the new tap water in? and should I treat the tap water before I add it to my tank? either with the betta bowl plus, the water renewal, or prime?

/QUOTE]

Any changes you make should be done slowly; I'd do 10% today, 10% tomorrow, etc.
Just tap water no chemicals?

TexasDomer
Without us knowing anything about how bad your tap water is, I'd be wary of using if you won't use it for your pets or yourself.

If you do decide to use it, use something like Prime in case there's something in it.

Compatability
Yes I agree, should I add any chemicals like the water renewal or betta bowl plus,, or prime?

TexasDomer
Just Prime. The others aren't necessary.

Compatability
Just Prime. The others aren't necessary.
Thank you!

Without us knowing anything about how bad your tap water is, I'd be wary of using if you won't use it for your pets or yourself.

If you do decide to use it, use something like Prime in case there's something in it.
I agree, actually I think going to stick with the bottled water, My betta is thriving and I think it's better to leave it alone. Thanks ❤️

r5n8xaw00
On a different note, I have used rain water in my aquarium. Caught several buckets last time it rained, but I ran out and went back to tap water. So far everything in my aquarium is fine.

Compatability
On a different note, I have used rain water in my aquarium. Caught several buckets last time it rained, but I ran out and went back to tap water. So far everything in my aquarium is fine.
I've never heard of that, did you add any chemicals like conditioners?

r5n8xaw00
I've never heard of that, did you add any chemicals like conditioners?

Not sure for rainwater over tap if it was really necessary but I did, just in case.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
  • Question
Replies
Views
Basil
Top Bottom