Tap Water in Saltwater Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've been using tap water in my 33 Gallon FOWLR (soon to be a reef tank) aquarium for nearly a year now and have never had a problem with nuisance algae and have not lost a single fish even during the cycling period.

Has any one else had luck with tap water in their SW tanks?

carlos413

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nope, when I started mine I used tap water. Only to start a algae forest in my tank lol. I would get a phosphate test kit and test your tap water to make sure you have non. Phosphates is one of the major contributors of algae from tap.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For a FOWLR, IMO you can probably get away with tap water, as you have been doing. However, I have a feeling you'll have some pretty big algae issues once you put more intense lighting over that tank.

locoyo386

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does using RO water stunt Macro-algae growth?
NO, the RO water if filtered right (the RO system is being maintained properly), does not add to your Nitrates and Phosphates or Silicates. This are some of the contributing factor to algae growth, aslo as mentioned above, lighting also contribute to algae growth.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Distilled water is safe. It's much cheaper in the long run to just purchase an RO/DI unit though.

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have been using Tap water for years and have never had a problem? Is it possible that my water is different to that of people in the USA?

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You will need to test it..... if no algae grows the water might still be high in phosphate, nitrate, and silicate. The algae amybe won't grow because of your lighting also.

The water might be different over there. It might be better and might be worst. Same here in the US. Depending on where you live, the water maybe good or no good.

A FOWLR system coud handle some nitrate, silicate, etc., but a reef will be most unlikely. There will be more bio-load in a reef tank usually. The lighting will also affect greatly as reef requires intense ligthing. Another one is corals couldn't handle heavy ammounts of nitrate, etc.

So there is no direct answer until you test it.

locoyo386

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK will do!
The crab and snail are reef safe, also note that tap water may also have other unwanted things, like copper (maybe not), sulfur and others. It is not a bad idea to really get to know what your tap water has. It can have a comulitive effect where you go months or possible a couple years with no problems, and than one day out of the blue everything dies and you are sitting there trying to figure out what happened.

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use a very high quality water conditioner (marine safe) which removes heavy metals such as copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom