Tap Water in Saltwater Aquaria

Discussion in 'Reverse Osmosis - Deionization' started by ViridiosExotics, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

:confused:I've been using tap water in my 33 Gallon FOWLR (soon to be a reef tank) aquarium for nearly a year now and have never had a problem with nuisance algae and have not lost a single fish even during the cycling period.

Has any one else had luck with tap water in their SW tanks?:;google

2. carlos413Valued MemberMember

Nope, when I started mine I used tap water. Only to start a algae forest in my tank lol. I would get a phosphate test kit and test your tap water to make sure you have non. Phosphates is one of the major contributors of algae from tap.

3. ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

I live in the UK so maybe the water is different idk?

4. ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

Does using RO water stunt Macro-algae growth?

5. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

For a FOWLR, IMO you can probably get away with tap water, as you have been doing. However, I have a feeling you'll have some pretty big algae issues once you put more intense lighting over that tank. ;)

6. locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

NO, the RO water if filtered right (the RO system is being maintained properly), does not add to your Nitrates and Phosphates or Silicates. This are some of the contributing factor to algae growth, aslo as mentioned above, lighting also contribute to algae growth.

7. ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

Has Any One ever considered using Bottled water for water change or 'top up' water? if so is it safe to use?

8. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Distilled water is safe. It's much cheaper in the long run to just purchase an RO/DI unit though.

9. ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

I have been using Tap water for years and have never had a problem? Is it possible that my water is different to that of people in the USA?

10. ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

:;dkIf there is Low Phosphates and Nitrates in your Tap water does that mean it is safe to use in a SW tank?:;dk

11. ATPWell Known MemberMember

You will need to test it..... if no algae grows the water might still be high in phosphate, nitrate, and silicate. The algae amybe won't grow because of your lighting also.

The water might be different over there. It might be better and might be worst. Same here in the US. Depending on where you live, the water maybe good or no good.

A FOWLR system coud handle some nitrate, silicate, etc., but a reef will be most unlikely. There will be more bio-load in a reef tank usually. The lighting will also affect greatly as reef requires intense ligthing. Another one is corals couldn't handle heavy ammounts of nitrate, etc.

So there is no direct answer until you test it.

12. ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

13. ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

BTW are Hermit Crabs and Turbo Snails Reef Safe?

14. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Be sure to test for phosphate.

15. ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

OK will do!

16. locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

The crab and snail are reef safe, also note that tap water may also have other unwanted things, like copper (maybe not), sulfur and others. It is not a bad idea to really get to know what your tap water has. It can have a comulitive effect where you go months or possible a couple years with no problems, and than one day out of the blue everything dies and you are sitting there trying to figure out what happened.

17. ViridiosExoticsValued MemberMember

I use a very high quality water conditioner (marine safe) which removes heavy metals such as copper.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice