Tap water high in nitrates

1. ReCause5764 Member Member

So checked my tap water today and it's high in nitrates. Tested it twice and both time came out to 20 ppm. What should I do???

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That's not extremely high, and it's definitely workable. I'd add some nitrate-loving plants like anacharis, and add a pothos to your filter or hanging out of your tank.

3. axel Member Member

its safe for fish as long as its not above 40ppm

4. ReCause5764 Member Member

I actually already have a pothos. As well as some Anubias congensis, dwarf hairgrass, dwarf tears, and a plant that looks similar to what you suggested. I pulled that one out of a spring near my home but I'm not sure what it is. Also some miramo balls. I have a fluval G3 filter and I can add a filter that traps nitrates as well should I put that in?

Ok. I think I'd like to keep it lower if possible but I won't do anything crazy to get it there

5. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

With all those plants it sounds as though you're doing as much as you can do really and there shouldn't be any real problems from it.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think you need to do anything else unless your nitrates go above 40 ppm regularly.

7. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

I have high nitrates in my tap also. Lots of live plants weren't keeping the levels down, so I bought some Nitra-Zorb, and periodically add it to my filter housing. Granted I only have 10G tanks, but it only takes a few days and the levels are down below 5 ppm - even after water changes. I take it out, and the nitrate readings are lower for about a month. Once they read 20ppm again, I add the Nitra-Zorb and the cycle repeats. There is a very nice thread on this site about nitrate reducers, if you haven't read it yet, it might be worth a look.