Tap water changing?

Shrimp42

When I first started my aquarium back in March of 2020 my tap water was hard (gh: 12 kh: 8-9) and alkaline (pH: 8-8.2). Recently however my parameters have changed. After last week's water change I noticed my vals looked a little translucenct and some of my cherry shrimp were showing the white ring of death (so far no dead shrimp). I tested the water and found out the gh was now 9 instead of 12. I just tested my tap today and I got gh: 7 kh: 5-6. I'm letting some tap water sit out so I can test the pH because straight out the tap is usually inaccurate.

Is there a reason this is happening and where would I find information regarding this change? I'll have updated results of ph gh and kh of tap after sitting out for 24 hours with an airpump (although gh and kh should stay the same).

Lucyn

That happened with me too some months ago. Apparently, it's something to do with the seasons changing and atmospheric pressure changing. Or your water cities water supplier just simply altered their water chemistry. The only thing you can really do about that (unless it's something leaching out of your pipes), is to call your cities water supply for additional details. And the only real workout I guess is to test your water parameters before every water change. Also aging your water can't hurt to let it settle if you don't need it very warm.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

When I first started my aquarium back in March of 2020 my tap water was hard (gh: 12 kh: 8-9) and alkaline (pH: 8-8.2). Recently however my parameters have changed. After last week's water change I noticed my vals looked a little translucenct and some of my cherry shrimp were showing the white ring of death (so far no dead shrimp). I tested the water and found out the gh was now 9 instead of 12. I just tested my tap today and I got gh: 7 kh: 5-6. I'm letting some tap water sit out so I can test the pH because straight out the tap is usually inaccurate.

Is there a reason this is happening and where would I find information regarding this change? I'll have updated results of ph gh and kh of tap after sitting out for 24 hours with an airpump (although gh and kh should stay the same).
Same happens to me roman96. I had banked on my tapwater gh and kh staying relatively stable as i had just started keeping shelldwellers, so needed stable hard water. One day after a 50% water change my tank gh had completely dropped and it turns out that my tap gh had halved, so i had altered the gh with my water change.

i think (for me at least) it comes down to the source of the tap water and how much it rains. When we have lots of rain here (fairly often, its the uk after all) my water is really soft, when we have a period of no rain then the gh and kh creeps back up. I measure my tap parameters each time i change water on the shellie tank so i can match it - my tap gh has so far ranged from as low as 4 to as high as 10.

Upvote 0

Shrimp42

That happened with me too some months ago. Apparently, it's something to do with the seasons changing and atmospheric pressure changing. Or your water cities water supplier just simply altered their water chemistry. The only thing you can really do about that (unless it's something leaching out of your pipes), is to call your cities water supply for additional details. And the only real workout I guess is to test your water parameters before every water change. Also aging your water can't hurt to let it settle if you don't need it very warm.
Yeah I'm definitely going to start testing more often.
Same happens to me roman96. I had banked on my tapwater gh and kh staying relatively stable as i had just started keeping shelldwellers, so needed stable hard water. One day after a 50% water change my tank gh had completely dropped and it turns out that my tap gh had halved, so i had altered the gh with my water change.

i think (for me at least) it comes down to the source of the tap water and how much it rains. When we have lots of rain here (fairly often, its the uk after all) my water is really soft, when we have a period of no rain then the gh and kh creeps back up. I measure my tap parameters each time i change water on the shellie tank so i can match it - my tap gh has so far ranged from as low as 4 to as high as 10.
The rain part makes sense because it's been raining a lot the past 2 weeks. It could just be a coincidence, but I dont think it is.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
saltwater60