10 Gallon Tank Tap water ammonia won't go down so tank ammonia won't go down?

SomberGraph

I've been doing daily water changes with Seachem Prime conditioner to try and manage a fish in cycle. (Fish seems healthy except for color changes throughout the day). I've been having trouble getting rid of the ammonia in the tank. It is usuallly low, around .25PPM, but it is always present. I tested my tap water and sure enough it has about .50PPM ammonia. After conditioning the tap water it still has the same amount of ammonia. I always prepare the next batch of tap water immediately after the water change, so around 24 hours before.

I've never had an issue with this before since I always bought filtered water but since moving into dorms and the pandemic that's not really an option for me anymore.

What can I do to lower ammonia levels in the tank? Is there something I can do to more effectively condition the tap water?

Mikedick77

Conditioning with Prime? That doesn't take Ammonia out of water. I believe it only detoxifies it. Prime will take Chlorine and Chloromines out of it though.

Edit: If that's what you're using, dose the tank with Prime for the Ammonia, and let the good bacteria clear that out. I dunno that I'd do anything but a weekly WC with that water.

SomberGraph

Mikedick77 said:
Conditioning with Prime? That doesn't take Ammonia out of water. I believe it only detoxifies it. Prime will take Chlorine and Chloromines out of it though.

Edit: If that's what you're using, dose the tank with Prime for the Ammonia, and let the good bacteria clear that out. I dunno that I'd do anything but a weekly WC with that water.
Oh wow, you're totally right! I guess my reading comprehension needs work.

Other than letting the bacteria handle it is there something I can do to actually lower ammonia levels?

mattgirl

Once your tank is cycled it will take care of the ammonia you are seeing in your tap water. Until then just keep it down as low as your can. If you have .5 ammonia in your source water and you do a 50% water change the ammonia in the tank will be .25. Prime will detox that low amount. I wouldn't add Prime to the water change water and then let it sit for 24 hours.

According to Seachem, Prime detoxes for 24 or so hours. If you add it to the water and then don't use it for 24 hours you are basically defeating its ability to detox the ammonia in the tank.

As Mikedick77 said. Prime doesn't remove the ammonia. It just detoxes it long enough for the bacteria to clean it out. In this case we have to do this on belief in the product because if there is ammonia there it will still show up in the test tube. It is just in a safer form.

ghostdawg

mattgirl said:
According to Seachem, Prime detoxes for 24 or so hours. If you add it to the water and then don't use it for 24 hours you are basically defeating its ability to detox the ammonia in the tank.
This is good to know. I usually add Prime to the water and put into the tank, but there are times I would wait until the next day to pour into the tank.

TClare

Have you got plants? They should help a lot, especially floating plants

SomberGraph

Crimson_687

My tap ammonia is around 1ppm and all my tanks read 0 ppm. I use seachem prime to detoxify the ammonia, but it doesn’t remove it, that’s what the beneficial bacteria and plants do. I’m not sure what exactly seachem prime does, if it just converts it into ammonium or if it does something else, but i have noticed a difference when I started using it. Before WCs would cause slight frantic/uncomfortable behavior, especially with my shrimp, but when I switched to prime that behavior subsided. Prime is a safety net, it gives time for the ammonia to get eaten

Top Bottom