Tap water 40ppm nitrates Help

1. zinnaerris Member Member

I was going to do a partial water change because my nitrates have been slowly getting higher and higher. I figured I'd test my tap water.. I had a suspicion and sure enough 40ppm.... I dunno what to do? Does using a water conditioner decrease nitrates? If not... Is there anything I can do to decrease it? I use night-out along with my water conditioner when doing water changes but that doesn't help nitrates.

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

Is the tank planted?
    Is their any other source you can get water from?
    I'm not familiar with using BB to get all nitrates from the water, usually water changes, but as you stated the nitrates are in your water.

I'd look into getting some Hornwort in the meantime til you can get some one with a little more experience with this problem... I've dealt with ammonia in the water and it ended with me carrying buckets far away to another well back to my house and long story after that.... Hornwort grows very quickly and is good for detoxifying and breaking in tanks. Could help suck up some of the Nitrates till you can find a more permanent solution

Good Luck

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

SeaChem makes a product called DeNitrate, but I've never used it before. Or live plants will help, like Crissandra331 suggested.

4. zinnaerris Member Member

I have no live plants. I've been thinking about it... Truthfully... I can't keep my lillies a live.. So I've been afraid to get plants for the tank. Lol my husband is the one with the green thumb. I'd much rather go natural with plants than use chemicals... Both my 5 gallon and my 15 gallon is in need. What is easy and effective? Like dumb easy..

Sent from my LG-D851 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Linwood Member Member

Another alternative is buy more pure water, e.g. from a local life fish store (they will call it RODI for Reverse Osmosis Deionized). If you decide to do that, you need to mix it with a bit of tap water OR mix it with remineraliazation products, as it is TOO pure, but they are cheap (Fort hat size tank $30 will last a year or two). One 5G bucket would probably handle the water change in both tanks each time, and the charge is probably in the $.30-$1 per gallon.

You can try a regular tap water filter but I doubt it will remove that much nitrate. Maybe.

6. zinnaerris Member Member

I will definitely look I to that. Thank you.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app