Tannins from live plants? Question 

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just got some plants I ordered from an eBay seller; Bacopa, Jungle Val, Dwarf Hair Grass that isn't actually the dwarf variety, and Ludwigia Repens Red. I put them in a tank to hold them until I'm ready to use them, and they're turning the water dark.

They all look healthy and viable, so I'm a little lost. There's nothing else in the tank, at all. Have any of you seen this before?

Komarr

Valued Member
Reaction score
What did they come in? Were they potted or loose? Did you rinse them off before putting them in your holding tank?

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They came wrapped in wet paper towels, in Ziploc bags. I rinsed them off, and put them in the tank, then used a tiny amount of Seachem Flourish after they'd been through a 24 hour light-dark cycle. (I didn't want to shock them.) I did a water change after another 24 hours, fertilized again, and now, after a total of 7 days, after their third water change, the water is going dark, like I put almond leaves in it.

When I say there's nothing else in the tank, I mean nothing. It's a bare tank. No substrate or other plants. They are dropping leaves, but that's not surprising after their 4 day trip through the postal service. I expected that. I did not expect to have dark water.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jenay said:
They came wrapped in wet paper towels, in Ziploc bags. I rinsed them off, and put them in the tank, then used a tiny amount of Seachem Flourish after they'd been through a 24 hour light-dark cycle. (I didn't want to shock them.) I did a water change after another 24 hours, fertilized again, and now, after a total of 7 days, after their third water change, the water is going dark, like I put almond leaves in it.

When I say there's nothing else in the tank, I mean nothing. It's a bare tank. No substrate or other plants. They are dropping leaves, but that's not surprising after their 4 day trip through the postal service. I expected that. I did not expect to have dark water.
What kind (species) of plants? Got pictures? Some live plants, as well as trees can leach tannins, so it's not unheard of, just kinda unusual...at least I never heard of any common aquarium submerged plants leaching tannins.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure whats causing the tannins, but its not the plants. Live plants do produce them, but not to the point of darkening your water.

Could be that now that there's plants in there the tank appears darker as there's not as much open space for the light to bounce around, or you could be having an algae bloom. I have some tanks that are so heavily planted you cant see through them but the water is crystal clear.

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I didn't get pictures. My son came by to help me with water changes. He does this just to be kind, and I don't like to waste his time. Since the water change, the plants have lost a bunch of leaves and some are melting, so the water isn't looking great. Some of the same darkness to it, but mostly just plant detritus.

I let them rest yesterday, but doing another small water change today, and then planting tomorrow in two or three tanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom