Tannins for Betta?

Dippiedee

So I'm pretty sure tannins are good for bettas? I am soaking a piece of driftwood for my big tank in boiling water and I was wondering if I could use the water the driftwood is soaking in to add to my betta tank once its cooled off? Or is it only beneficial if the wood is soaking inside the tank? I cant put the driftwood in my betta tank because its huge and wont fit.

Best Answer - View MacZ's answer

BettaFishObsessed

Well the tannins wouldn’t last forever since you have to keep adding leaves or whatever to your tank after they decompose, but adding the water once it is completely cooled couldn’t hurt! It would just give the betta some tannins temporarily

Dippiedee

Hmm okay, a bit of a 'better than nothing' situation. Does spiderwood release tannins?

MacZ

Dippiedee said:
Hmm okay, a bit of a 'better than nothing' situation. Does spiderwood release tannins?
You should always let the soaking water for the leaves cool and put it in.
No, spiderwood leaches minimal amounts.

In my blackwater tank I have only spiderwood as driftwood and have to add tannins with leaves and alder cones. I also add a bit of peat extract.

StarGirl

I put some Alder cones in my 5g when my Betta got a scrape and just 2 made the water quite brownish. I got a box of 50 for like $6. Probably a lot cheaper if you get them in bulk online somewhere. They look like little pinecones. :)

MacZ

StarGirl said:
I put some Alder cones in my 5g when my Betta got a scrape and just 2 made the water quite brownish. I got a box of 50 for like $6. Probably a lot cheaper if you get them in bulk online somewhere. They look like little pinecones. :)
Depending on where you live you can also just collect them yourself. Usual month to do so is November, but can be as early as Oktober and in some cases as late as January.

And yes, Alder cones can make the water super dark. Just added 5-6 last weekend, I could have only made it darker with a piece of bogwood.

Top Bottom