Tannin leeching after 7 months!

1. T

T3Knical5urg3 Valued Member Member

So I have a fairly large piece of driftwood in my 30 gallon freshwater tank. I did boil it the best I could before I put it in figuring if it wasn't completely boiled it would eventually leech out. 7 Months later and it still is as tea colored as day 1. Iv'e even done some drastic water changes (more so than I normally would have done) to try to speed up the process but I still have that same ugly color water. Has anyone else had this experience?

2. Fish_Man

Fish_Man Valued Member Member

yep.. mine is still the same... people have said it will eventually go away.. but it will take up to years (supposely)... so patient is the key I believe... I don't mind it being all yellowy but clear would be nice...

you can take it out and boil it some more and let it sit in another tank for a while...
    I find that it leeches out more since I have a pleco and ottos on it

3. a

anunez91 Valued Member Member

maybe its because the wood itself is so dense, you cant get everything even with a hundred boils! some of those hunks of wood are like brown lead. Maybe the tannins are still very very concentrated towards the middle of the wood where its the most dense, unless your wood isnt dense, haha

4. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I think it is luck of the draw and wood type. I bought three pieces to put in my 120g tank. I boiled them for a little bit and soaked them for about a week. If I have any tannins it is really light. I sometimes think the water is a little yellow but I can't tell if its tannins, the light, reflection from the wall or what. Either way mine isn't real noticeable.

5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ive had a piece for 2 years and it still leaches ....I like the color tho as I think its more natural in some of my tanks....adding fresh carbon every 3-4 weeks, with some fresh filter floss, and water changes, will speed it up ..

6. OP
    OP
    T

T3Knical5urg3 Valued Member Member

Yea i have been replacing a very large custom carbon filter after doing some research online but I can't tell the difference. I just don't think any amount of carbon can keep up. I have yellow fish in my tank and the tea tint totally washes out their vibrance. I guess I will just have to pull it out and find something else to take its place. Thanks

7. p

potatos Valued Member Member

African mopani driftwood is very dense so it sinks automatically, and did not leech much tannins for me. but it is also a small piece since it is rather expensive, which is why im going to the beach this weekend :D