tanks stands....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by bizaliz3, Jul 14, 2015.

1. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I am just curious about what the benefits are to different types of stands. Specifically having a stand that has a solid table top vs a stand that just has the outer edges as the only support, so it has no solid table top to support the entire base of the tank. Those kinds of stands where you can stick your head underneath and see the bottom of the tank.

I have a 55 gallon tank with a very nice sturdy black stand that has a full table top...I am looking at getting another 55 off craigslist and the stand looks very very similar, but I noticed that it isn't a solid table like stand. the tank just rests on the edges. It feels like that isn't as safe or solid as having a table top style stand. But I am sure it is actually beneficial to be able to see the bottom of your tank. And I have seen many many stands that don't have a solid top, just the edges. How does the tank get the support it needs if the bottom of the tank isn't supported?

Weird question I am sure. LOL

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well, my Aqueon 75 gallon tank is sitting on a stand made by Aqueon also, and the tank is just sitting on the edges. You can imagine that I have more than 1000 pounds with the weight of the tank, water, substrate etc. Everything's holding steady so far!

3. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

I have a 15 gallon column tank/stand combo that is also aqueon (I think) and that one just sits on the edges....but I didn't really question it too much because it isn't a very big tank. But with a 55 gallon it concerned me a little....

I am spending $120 on this set up and I don't want to make the wrong choice. People post great deals on craigslist all the time, so I don't want to settle if this isn't the right one for me....you know? And I have seen better deals, but I like this one because the stand matches my stand on my other 55 gallon....I thought it did anyway, but I guess they are slightly different. I haven't seen it in person yet....so I hope the seller knows that I may change my mind if I get there and it isn't what I had hoped. Right now I think the guy thinks that it is a done deal....you know?

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well, does he still have the tank setup or is it emptied out? If it's still setup, you can actually see that the stand supports the weight of the tank, water, etc. If has been emptied out, I would have him fill the whole thing up with water and see. Then go from there. Basically, the stand is like a house. If the foundation is strong, it will support the whole weight.

5. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishesValued MemberMember

I remember reading once (I can't find where now that I'm looking for it, of course) about glass vs. acrylic being better for the side-only support type stands.

Has anyone heard of this?

6. Chris99

Chris99Well Known MemberMember

If it is a glass tank with a rim on the bottom it will rest completely on the edges regardless if your stand has a solid top or open. There will be an open space between the glass and stand. The solid top doesn't add any addition support to the tank itself. Some stands do rely on the top as part of the overall structural integrity of stand but that is usually only on cheaply made stands from the box stores.

Only acrylic tanks require full support on the bottom of the tank since the acrylic can bow.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea, I think if anything, a solid top would add more weight for the stand to support, which would lessen the ability to support of the tank itself.

8. Chris99

Chris99Well Known MemberMember

One benefit I forgot to mention to solid top stands is they can hold multiple size tanks. I have a stand that is solid top that originally held a 75 but was later changed to a 55. Now it holds a 20 and 10. Open top stands can only support one size footprint.

9. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

Good point, I didn't think about that....with the frame on a glass tank, the glass bottom doesn't sit flush on a solid topped stand anyway. Thanks for pointing that out! LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice