Tanks for sale-- part of the reason people overcrowd fish.

1. cameronpalte Member Member

Just to let you know, this is something I have recently found out. Normally many people thing that the reason some people overcrowd fish is lack of knowledge or if like the pet store misinforms them. However another reason, especially for betas (who should have at least 5gallons) is often the tanks for sale. I went to the pet store getting my 55, and say a beta tank, 1 quart, divided in 2 for 2 beta fish. Thats a pint of water/beta, thats terrible for the beta's. Thats it. Try not to work with these companies and fix thing.

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Yep. Many folks around here have known about the tiny tanks, particularly the ones sold for bettas, for quite awhile. It falls in with education. It teaches people that small tanks are acceptable (I mean, that bright, shiny betta is in the picture on the box. It's got to be okay, right?), and sale of such tanks can only continue while some customers believe that they're okay.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Touching on the sale of those tank: But what if people like me, who use these small tanks for many things, from temporary housing, to filling up my larger tanks, buys them? Its still sending out that message to the companies that these tanks are selling how they are marketed, and its ok to continue selling them as such.

4. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Akari, yes it is. You are creating a demand, which the companies that manufacture and market these tanks are more than happy to fill.

5. djsmiley2k Well Known Member Member

Its all about numbers - the few people that buy some for those temp tanks etc are far outweighted by the thousands of people who must buy them, try and keep a betta, sadly loose the betta and throw the tank out.

The throw away culture adds to the problem as well....

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

And even though *I* am using these tanks for "good," just the fact that I'm buying them says, as you said, Diva, to the company that there is a demand, its pointless that I even use the tank in a way that is humane (and not in the way they were intended), because the company will continue to ship out more, and come up with more of these "death traps," and people who don't know better will continue to buy them.

Good time, good times. >.<

Very true. I try to get these tank from other people, but some times, thats just not possible, so I *have* to buy one.

7. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Exactly, Akari. The companies don't see--or frankly, care--what you are using the tanks for. All they see is that the tanks are being purchased, so they make more to fill the demand created. Other purchasers don't see what you're using the tanks for--or again, really care. All they see is that someone else is buying the tank, so it must be okay to use the tank in the way indicated on the box.

Instead of using the little tanks, why not figure out an alternative, such as plastic food containers? Sure, they aren't as "pretty," but if it's just for temporary housing, then it doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to be functional.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My main problem is space. tubberwear containers are wide and flat, and the tanks are long and tall (I hope that makes sense LOL). I, being in a dorm, have limited space, so temp tanks need to not take up all the room on my desk. Also, there are conflicting views that food store container leaches chemicals in to the water (or what ever) thats in it. I'm sure this is more so true in the cheapy ones, but I'd rather not take the chance. Which is why, in the end, I try to get used "betta tanks."

9. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I kept one of my male bettas in a large, clear plastic storage bin for several months while I did some tank shuffling and such. He was absolutely fine. If a storage bin (we're talking one of the big ones that are $20 at Walmart) is safe for fish, I don't see why a food storage container wouldn't be. However, that is neither here nor there.

I'm wondering if you could use the smaller plastic storage containers. Like these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Storage-Box-White/16456544 I've transported fish in those kinds of containers before and they did great.

10. cameronpalte Member Member

I'm pretty sure you can. When I was carrying my goldfish to my friend I used one of those. My point is that if you put a beta in a 1 pint area (waterbottle) for several months... well until it dies.

11. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

We'd kind of moved beyond that topic and were trying to figure out ways to avoid "having" to purchase the small betta "tanks" that are sold. Without the demand, there's no need for the supply and the manufacturers will eventually stop selling them.

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

This is the original topic. :)

13. cameronpalte Member Member

Yup your right, that is the original content.

14. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Lucy, I know. What I was saying to the OP was that we were trying to expand on the topic he had started (about not buying those tiny "tanks" for bettas) by trying to come with alternatives to those "tanks" for people who may need an alternative (as in Akari's case with her limited space). I don't think we had really gotten off topic, to be honest.

15. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hmm, it's a contentious topic. And I agree, that without demand, there is no need for supply.

Kind of on topic (regarding health of fish, size of tanks etc), back in 2011, may have been 2010, one of our FL members [and huge apologies for forgetting who], successfully lobbied the RSPCA of Australia (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) to include fish keeping standards. These standards have changed the way Betta's (in particular) are sold etc in Australia, and the care sheets and advice that is provided by LFS and pet-shops alike.

Check out some of the topics that have been published: http://kb.rspca.org.au/74/

The one that gets me, titled "How should I keep and care for Siamese fighting fish?" has nearly 21,000 views [hopefully it's helped save a few Betta's]

I appreciate this isn't completely on-topic - but it should serve as evidence, that we, as fish-keepers can influence what is considered acceptable practice, and we can make a difference.