Tanks For A Beginner

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Freshwaterfish101, Aug 5, 2017.

1. F

Freshwaterfish101 New Member Member

Hi everyone! What size and type tanks (and fish species) would you recommend for a beginner? My water PH is 8.2-8.4 :)

2. EmmyFish

EmmyFish Valued Member Member

The question is... how big can you handle... I started with a 20 gallon and it's doing great and thriving. I have Guppies, platty, Neon tetras, ghost shrimp and snails. Then I have my 5g Betta tank. As long as you keep learning and follow closely, I'd say pick a tank size.

3. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Tank size?

To be honest, 'beginner' can mean a lot of things and if you're willing to put in the work you could do most fish. But here are some options that can easily be found in a Pet(insert chain name here) and are either good alone or in communities. Just ask first on the amount you can get.

3 gallon+:
    Betta

10 gallon+:
    Guppies
    Platys
    Mosquitofish (males)

20 gallon+:
    Cherry barbs
    Skirt tetras
    Zebra danios
    White cloud mountain minnows
    Mosquitofish (males and females)

29 gallon+:
    Mollies
    Swordtails
    Bristlenose pleco

40 gallon+:
    Fancy goldfish

But almost any fish can be a beginner fish. Just post your tank size and what you're interested in. :)

4. OP
    OP
    F

Well I've found a 27 Gallon for a good price, just debating whether its big enough for what I want to do :)

5. B

What do you want to do with it?

6. W_AQUARIA

W_AQUARIA New Member Member

A pH of that level is way too high. Lower it and I would recommend a tank size of 30 gallons and include some of the following:
    Betta (Betta splendens)
    Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)
    Black Widow Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
    Bronze Cory (Corydoras aeneus)
    Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
    Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus)
    Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
    Harlequin Rasbora (Rasbora heteromorpha)
    Otocinclus (Otocinclus spp.)
    Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)
    Peppered Cory (Corydoras paleatus)
    Platy (Xiphophorus maculatus)
    Red Swordtail (Xiphophorus helleri)
    Zebra Danio (Danio rerio)

7. OP
    OP
    F

My dream is to keep a pair of Figure 8 puffers.

8. B

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I've kept a lot of fish on your list that have done perfectly fine. Guppies and platys like hard water. I've had lots of bettas and they've done perfectly well in my PH. My PH is naturally 8.4.

IMO, stable PH is better than messing with it unless your fish or invertebrate is very reliant on it, which I don't think any on your list are. Nor is OP's PH crazy like a PH of 10 or something.

9. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor New Member Member

Your high pH could support some cool African Rift Valley Cichlids. Either do a community tank with small Cichlids or you could do some amazing Brevis Shell Dwellers! Super cool fish that you should definitely consider! :)

10. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

A 10g tank for a beginner would be very good.

I'd normally recommend a betta in a 5g, but unless you can figure out how to drop that PH, I wouldn't do bettas just because they like their water a bit on the acid side.

11. Dropszecolorlord

Dropszecolorlord Valued Member Member

if you feel like starting with puffers it good to look at there needs. i recommend looking at there diet and seeing if you can afford a larger one the larger the fish the more they eat. as a start i recommend a pea due to there size and maintenance being less than a larger fish. puffers are really cool but a more difficult. if you decide to get a pea puffer and enjoy it then a figure 8 would be fine. puffers would be a little more of a difficult starter fish but id say go ahead with puffers just do all your research and you will be fine

the 27 gallons could work for 2 figure 8 puffers but not much more

i luv puffers

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  12. V

Vourg New Member Member

the bigger the tank the better. just because your new it doesnt mean you need to start with a small tank like 5 or 10 gal which is actually much harder for beginners because small tanks are not so beginner friendly. parameter swings, ammonia spikes, temperature issues etc. i would recommend like a 30 gal tank which can be quite stable and can get away with a few begginers mistake. plus eventually you'll upgrade to a bigger tank anyway if you started in a small tank. also the variety of fish that opens up to you if you start with a somewhat middle sized tank.

13. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I started with a 37 gallon. Water parameters are easier in larger tanks. My brother who has been keeping fish for over 15 years recommended the biggest size for the space I have, as he said I'll likely just want to upgrade later anyway. :) that was good advice!

14. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

I had room for a 20 gallon when I got mine, so that is what I went with. I wish I had room for a 30 gallon though because I would have had more options when it came to picking breeds of fish to put in my new tank. I would go with a 20, or 30 gallon because you can do more the bigger your tank is. Plus you need to do water changes. Most sources I have read say 10% a week, or 25% a month. It actually depends on your bio load though. Wait a few years before you go bigger than that to see how much the excitement of having a pet wears off. The larger your tank, the more water you are going to have to change once you are fully stocked and the more cleaning you will have to do.

Also, beware of noise. Even the quietest filters make noise. Don't place your tank near your bed, or your study area.

Start with live plants too. I wasted a bunch of money on fake ones and then bought live ones a few months later when I realized they aren't hard to take care of as long as you go with a low light breed like moss balls, or java ferns.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice