Tanks Cycled...now What?

Barch

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank with a betta fish and a 20 tank with 15 total fish in a community. Both tanks are properly cycled as I tested both today and all the numbers came back perfect! I'm just wondering how often I should change the water now and if I top the tanks up (I like to run my water as high as possible for filter flow) what precaution should I take? Just make sure the temperature is the same? Should I use a tint tiny drop of prime when topping off or just normal API water conditioner?

Also, I added about 4 real plants to my 20, open lid tank, at what point do you need oxygen? Thanks

FishFor2018

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BettaBarch said:
I have a 10 gallon tank with a betta fish and a 20 tank with 15 total fish in a community. Both tanks are properly cycled as I tested both today and all the numbers came back perfect! I'm just wondering how often I should change the water now and if I top the tanks up (I like to run my water as high as possible for filter flow) what precaution should I take? Just make sure the temperature is the same? Should I use a tint tiny drop of prime when topping off or just normal API water conditioner?

Also, I added about 4 real plants to my 20, open lid tank, at what point do you need oxygen? Thanks
I would do a couple drops of prime to the new water as well as water conditioner. Weekly %25 water changes is good. What kind of live plants? Also what type of plants do you have with the Betta?

Hunter1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
To determine your water change schedule you need to monitor your nitrates.

Get them as low as possible with like back to back 50% water changes over 2 days. Then test regularly. Once they get to 40ppm do a 50% which in theory will get you to 20ppm. See how long it takes to get back to 40ppm. That time should be your schedule if you continue to do 50% water changes.

I would continue to monitor for a few weeks, especially if you add fish.

Feeding schedule variations will change the schedule as well.

OP
Barch

Barch

Reaction score
Hunter1 said:
To determine your water change schedule you need to monitor your nitrates.

Get them as low as possible with like back to back 50% water changes over 2 days. Then test regularly. Once they get to 40ppm do a 50% which in theory will get you to 20ppm. See how long it takes to get back to 40ppm. That time should be your schedule if you continue to do 50% water changes.

I would continue to monitor for a few weeks, especially if you add fish.

Feeding schedule variations will change the schedule as well.
Ty for the replies

I have java fern with the betta
I have java fern, anubias, and moneywort plant in the 20 gallon

I have 7 neons (adopted with tank)
5 long fin skirt tetras
Bristlenose pelco (adopted with tank)
2 orange serpas tetra (adopted with tank)

New Threads