Tankmates

1. 2

23l7qjn9 New Member Member

Ok I read the page that Bala Sharks are compatible with Oscars. So, I have a 3-4 inch Oscar how did of a Bala Shark should I get? :;sharky

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore :;hi1

Bala sharks are a shoaling species, so do better in schools of 5 or more.

In a 125G though, it's probably a bit small for that many. I don't have direct experience with balas, but would think 3 in 125G would probably still be pushing it :;dk

Here's the care sheet for them https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-BalaShark.htm

3. L

Ladayen Valued Member Member

You wanna keep them pretty close in size.. a 4" oscar could possibly eat a 2" bala so make sure it's at least 3". As mentioned get 5-6. You will have to keep up with your water changes especially as the fish get bigger. 125g is on the small end but doable. Certainly better then people throwing them into a 10g tank and wondering why they die in 2 weeks.

4. Jeffcameron

Jeffcameron Valued Member Member

I've got three bala sharks (roughly 6-7inches now) in a 180G. They do swim in a trio quite often but can also be seen on their own in the tank. Personally I'd only go three in a 125G if you decide to get them. I'd also try and get them the same size or bigger than your Oscar as Bala Sharks are much slower growers.

You may also get a number of people saying 125G is too small for Bala Sharks. It's definitely the MINIMUM IMO as they can get big and solid. A better schooling fish for your tank that still get reasonably large but not too big would be a Silver Dollar variety of some sort. Just an idea :)