Tankmates required! Suggestions?

ShockWave

Reaction score
I'm the proud owner of a recently cycled 20 gallon tank. I've currently got 7 Glowlight Tetra's, 1 baby Albino Cory and 1 male Swordtail in there. I did have two male Swordtails but one died within two days and the other is looking very scared now - constantly hiding around the filter/plants/rocks - and he doesn't really go for the flakefood I put in either.

I need two or three fish as a 'centrepiece' for my tank and am welcome to suggestions! I was thinking of getting perhaps two female Swordtails to hopefully bring him out of his shell. Other than that maybe two Rams?

-Saltwater-

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think a couple female swordtails (or 1 male) would fill the tank to capacity and a bit over. I'd recommend 1 male.

ShockWave

Reaction score
I did have two male Swordtails but one of them died. Then I read that you shouldn't have two males together - is that right? Now the other male is constantly hiding and barely eating. I've done a 15-20% water change and my Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate levels are fine. The Swordtail I've still got has a kinda fading white patch on it's tail and dorsal fins - bit worried about that :-\

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ShockWave said:
I did have two male Swordtails but one of them died. Then I read that you shouldn't have two males together - is that right? Now the other male is constantly hiding and barely eating. I've done a 15-20% water change and my Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate levels are fine. The Swordtail I've still got has a kinda fading white patch on it's tail and dorsal fins - bit worried about that :-\
He could be suffering from a true fungus. If you have a smaller tank that you could put him in and treat him with something like TriSulfa, it could help him recover. Then he'll probably want a buddy as they can get stressed/lonely when alone.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is your tank fully cycled-- Rams need superior water. AND your baby cory needs 2-3 friends, they have to school to feel secure.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom