Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Tankmates Oscar Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Wishesfishes, Mar 23, 2019.

1. WishesfishesNew MemberMember

Can I have 2 electric blue acaras, an electric blue jack dempsey, a blood parrot, a Colombian Shark and a pleco with an Oscar. They’ve been together since they were tiny. I just don’t know if the Oscar will be a problem as they get bigger.

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

What size tank?

3. WishesfishesNew MemberMember

4. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Your going to have lots of issues as these fish grow.

5. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

That will NEVER work in that size tank!!!!

6. WishesfishesNew MemberMember

Ok, but how does that help me?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2019
  7. BettaFishKeeper4302Well Known MemberMember

I’d just do the Oscar in the 75 and nothing else.

8. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

The Oscar will need a bigger tank than a 75. Good luck!!!

9. BettaFishKeeper4302Well Known MemberMember

Actually, it doesn’t, in fact a 75 gallon is the minimum you can keep it in.

10. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

I hear that all the time from people who Google. However it seems like 99 percent of experienced Oscar keepers say they need a bigger tank to really thrive in. I would like to see an Oscar as big and beautiful and healthy as Dawn Michelle's in a 75. I think David1978 had one break a tank for him already. I could be getting my people confused. But.. what I am saying, is do you know of someone who has a full grown Oscar in a small 75 that is doing well? I am just curious...

11. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

After keeping and breeding Oscars for over 25 years, Ive stopped because I feel that a single Oscar shouldnt be in anything under 100 gallons. Even if you had a 220, its still too small for all the fish youre talking about.

12. BettaFishKeeper4302Well Known MemberMember

No I don’t know anyone who has one thriving in a 75. But I do know that a 75 is the absolute minimum, yes bigger is always better, but a 75 is just fine. This is such a controversial topic, there’s no absolute right answer.

13. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

The previous members that have told you that this plan may not work are correct, it's not the best of ideas to place an oscar into a tank that it won't be best fitted to, especially with another tank mate as it grows. I don't recommend a tank smaller than 100 gallons for one, these fish really do get quite large and are more active than you may think. They need a lot of room to be able to swim horizontally, as well as depth (front to back) to allow for proper movement as a means of turning around inside the tank. I wouldn't put an Oscar in a tank any less than eighteen inches wide.

Please do try to not accuse the members here, we are not trying to tell you no to be rude, we do it to help you.

14. BettaFishKeeper4302Well Known MemberMember

Who’s to say the OP is getting a baby Oscar for this 75, by the time the thing is fully grown he could have a much bigger tank.

15. BettaFishKeeper4302Well Known MemberMember

Ok everyone, let’s all just stop for a second. We are arguing about something that’s been nothing but controversial in the hobby, there is no absolute right tank size. But a 75 is the absolute minimum. It’s not like the OP is buying a full sized Oscar in the first place, as I said before. He might buy a small one and by the time the fish is fully grown he could have a bigger tank. It’s not like he’s shoving him in a 10 gallon.

16. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

I don't see anyone arguing. I see one person looking for a particular answer, not getting it and not accepting the posts by members who have taken the time to give them helpful advice/information.

Im assuming you keep Bettas so how about this: Oscars get up to 18" if kept properly. Ive had MANY get over that. A 75 gallon is 18x48. That would be like keeping a Betta in a 2x5 tank. A 2x5 inch tank. Thats how much room it will have to "swim", and I use that term loosely.

17. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

I don’t know much but I know if you attempt to put all those fish in a 75g you will have major problems. I have to agree with @Dawn Michele and @DuaneV. The bioload of that mix of fish will be super hard to keep up with and that’s just one problem.

So if you already have the Oscar than I would put him alone in the 75g at least he would have an ok size tank to live in. I only suggest this if you already have the Oscar and have no other options.

18. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Yes an Oscar will live in a 75. But not with those other fish. The Blood parrot or the Dempsey may kill the Oscar. The blue Acura’s will be the first to go. They could be in a community tank. Or since you got them all small and they’ve been together the whole time it may work out. But once you start changing things in the tank it will all change. Once you try to move them into a bigger tank things will change. They’re all aggressive fish that get big some 10”. My lfs has a 1000 gal tank with those fish in it and it works. But that’s 1000gal.
    Yes there’s some trolling going on! But who’s actually the troll.

19. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Look Dawn is right. She has kept an Oscar for years. I have an Oscar and he is a warrior. NOTHING else can go in the tank. He had a Jack Dempsey friend and that didn't work out. Electric Blues? Yeah No not gonna work. Oscars will purge the tank. That bejng said, Todd lets me pet him and i can hand feed him.

Clearly Duane you dunno what you are talki ng about. Nevermind you are THE authority on oscars here.

20. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Definitely not. But Ive spent a TON of time with them. I love them, theyre the best fish you can keep. That said, I no longer keep them because the last ones I had in my 220 didnt have enough room.