Tankmates For Zebra Danios And Panda Cories?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Paul2018, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Paul2018New MemberMember

Hey Guys, hows a goin?

Hoping to get a 125 Litre (33 Gallons) Juwel Rio tank between June and Sept.

Would love your advice on fish that you can add with Zebra Danios and Panda Cories.

Would love to get fish with colour and thats ok with 22 Celsius (71/72 F)

I am thinking of adding 3 or 4 types of fish. Maybe about 6 upwards of each. (Otos as 4th fish, if having problems with algae).

(Would Platies be ok with 22 Celsius? Would be they be hard to keep? As would be afraid that they overcrowd tank.)

Would Zebra Danios be ok with 24 Celsius (75 F)?

I could get Peppered/Adofois/ Emerald Cory instead of Panda Cory , if 24 C could be too high for Panda.

What other fish would be ok with 24 C?

Looking forward to hearing from you, thank you so much, as your advice is much appreciated.

Paul.

2. LunnieticWell Known MemberMember

Pepper corydoras are also low temp cories. I would not recommend mixing the two species or replacing panda with pepper for a high temp cory.

How many pandas do you have? And hiw many zebra danios?

As far as algae goes the three best things to help with that are: lighting schedule (how long do you leave your lights on for?), feeding (overfeeding causes algae because there are more nutrients in the tank), and yourself (by staying on top of it). Other then that snails and shrimp are the best cleaners for it.

3. Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

Hi Paul! Welcome! :)

Congrats on doing your research and planning early. you know enough to understand temperature compatibility and ime you've come to the right place! there are stocking experts on here (not me lolz) who give great suggestions.

i notice your profile said you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. when you want to learn once you get your tank & before you buy fish, sing out and we'll be happy to help :)

4. Paul2018New MemberMember

Hello how are u? I hav'nt got tank yet? But hoping to get it around June - Sept, as saving for it at mo. Hoping to get a 125 L (33 G) Juwel Rio tank.

I am thinking of adding 6 pandas and 6 Zebra Danios and 6 of any fish with colour.

Hello how are u? Yeah i will be doing a Fishless cycle with fish food, but will be doing more research on it. Cant wait to get tank, as will be an amazing hobby to get into.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  5. Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

if you can source pure ammonia (I can't because of where we live) I've seen people on here go very well through their cycle with it. anyway welcome aboard! :)

6. JeffsgloValued MemberMember

I have Zebra danios glow fish at 75 Degree F for years. And am buying 55 gallon to put 12 glowfish Zebra danios and 12 glowfish tiger barbs in. Make sure to have at least 6 of each

7. Paul2018New MemberMember

Cool. I may choose 24 C (75 F)then, as could give me more options of fish to choose. Would Neon /Cardinal Tetras or Rummy Nose Tetras be ok with 24 C (75 F)?

Thank you. I was thinking about buying ammonia, but heard you need to be very careful of smell and that you could have loads left over in bottle after using it. So wasnt sure if buying can be expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Pandas will do great in 24C.
    Think of Puntius pentazona or Cherry barbs.

9. Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

my understanding is that it's pretty cheap but again I can't get it here so I'll defer to those who can :)

10. Paul2018New MemberMember

Was thinking bout Cherry barbs. Would they be good with Zebra Danios? Havnt heard of Puntius pentazona (Five Branded barb, just checked bout them. They are a nice looking fish. Not sure if you can get in Ireland though).

11. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Cherries will do great to me.

12. shutterbug13Well Known MemberMember

Cherries will definitely work as DoubleDutch (and their color will contrast nicely with the zebra danios!). Other schooling options are neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, pearl danios, and skirt tetras. For centerpiece fish, some of your options are Bolivian rams, honey gouramis, dwarf gouramis, platys, and swordtails.

13. JeffsgloValued MemberMember

Paul,

I do believe that tetras are ok with zebra danios and barbs. Just make sure you have all of them in seperate schools. They can nip fins and be aggressive if not. Maybe 8 each?

Hi Paul and welcome!
    Make sure you also don't over stock your tank

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice