Tankmates For Year-old Betta Question

1. MasonL14 Member Member

I'm taking care of my brothers Betta, and my 4.5 year old betta has just died in his 10 gallon.

I want to move my brothers betta to the 10 gallon tank but I'm not sure what type of fish to put in there and if he will feel threatened.

What's a good type of fish to live with a male 1 year old betta?

Will my betta feel threatened even though it's a different tank?

Thanks

2. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Shrimp and snails would be the best or maybe some Otocinclus Vittarus or pygmy cories busy must be in groups 6+

3. MasonL14 Member Member

So each one of those must be in a group of 6+ because they like to swim in schools right? Will that work for a 10 gallon?

4. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Sorry to confuse you I meant cories need to be in groups 6+. 2 or maybe 3 otos would be fine in a 10gallon tank with the betta. You could do,
    1 male betta
    3 Otocinclus Vittarus
    7 Red Cherry Shrimp

5. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I strongly advise that 10 gallons is too small to put any fish in with a betta. IMO it really seems like people have a lot of problems when they try this. I assure you, he is far better off alone in a 10 gallon. He'll certainly be less stressed. Maybe stick with snails. Good luck!

6. Boots8 Member Member

It isn't really the tank size, it depends on how aggressive the betta is. I currently am housing my betta in a 10 G with cory's (will be upgrading soon.) And he doesn't chase them, he doesn't nip them, or anything he just constantly swims around & explores. Sometimes will "lay" with them too, and then swims off.

They actually do pretty well for community fish, you just need to find their level of aggression, some are more passive, and some are more aggressive.
    Currently I have a few bettas, my male in the 10 G is very passive & isn't bothered by anything, while my dragonscale is incredibly aggressive, even if you leave the light on he goes into full flare mode. When I first bought him and put his cup near a goldfish, he would flare like crazy.

The dragon scale is perfect proof of an aggressive betta that shouldn't be housed in any community tank. My regular blue HM is proof that he can be housed in any community tank and has no issues.

@ OP: Try cupping the betta and floating him, or putting him in front of the tank, does he show signs of wanting to chase / flaring at the fish. If so, there is no reason for you of having tank mates. If he does not flare, or care, or chase, he is OK for tank mates, you can also try acclimating him, and releasing him for 10-30 minutes, see if he shows the behavior, if not cup him and acclimate him back to where he was & upgrade to something bigger for himself.

With Betta's it's a hit or miss, it all depends on their personality / aggression scale. I once had a pure white platinum that was not aggressive at all, he would never, ever flare, even near females, never cared or was curious about him. Truly interesting.

7. goplecos Well Known Member Member

It all depends on the size, If the Betta is large like a Half Moon, Placket, or Dragonscale. If he is small like a Crowntail or Veiltail it would be OK to add more fish. In my experience Bettas aren't aggressive to, or intimidated by fish unless the fish have long tails like guppies. So if the Betta is small you could add 3-5 small Tetras or Rasboras.

8. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Yeah, aggression is one factor to look at, but really the main thing in my mind is stress level. Just because the betta does not bite does not mean he's not stressed out of his mind. The bettas that do well in communities have to have a passive personality, yes, but they also need space, cover, hiding spots, and gentle filtration current. Ideal 30 gallon community setups, a passive betta can tolerate that. But it really seems that in 10 gallon betta communities, and even more in 5s, I see a lot of stress related things like fin rot, shredded fins, disease, shortened lifespan, etc... I realize that people do it, and sometimes have success, but IMO it's just not the safest idea, especially if it is a long-finned male, so why push it? I really feel that bettas feel a bit trapped with nowhere to go in a 10 gallon with tankmates. Just my opinion.

9. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Please don't recommend putting cories or oto's in a 10 gallon. I'm not sure if you've kept them before, but I'm currently keeping both of them and neither would do well in a 10 gallon. Both of them need to be kept in larger groups than could be comfortably/safely kept in a tank that size, plus they're so active they wouldn't be happy in that small of a tank long term. Sure they could survive but they wouldn't thrive and I'm pretty sure that's the goal for all of us on this forum.

10. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I love a betta in a community. But you need a 20 long at least to try it. Some bettas are very calm and peaceful, some are vicious.

11. jl_1005 Member Member

I wouldn't recommend tetras with a betta. They nip at betta's fins

12. Shadow2331 Member Member

Well i have kept my betta that you see in my profile picture with 4 endlers guppy and they are happy, but it usually depends on the character of your fish, bettas mostly are better off alone only some are ok with few friends :)

13. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

True, but I currently have a 10 gallon with a betta, and he has a small school of Galaxy Rasboras.
    I wouldn't advise anyone else to do this, but my betta is very very mellow.