Tankmates for Ruby Tetras?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by hayer, Jul 2, 2016.

1. hayer

hayer Valued Member Member

Hi again Fishlore!

I am currently starting a 20 gallon fish tank. Currently in there are the fish and plants from my 5 gallon. There are 3 Ruby Tetras, 1 Moss Ball, and 2 Java Ferns. 2 Amano Shrimps were added yesterday from another one of my tanks that will soon house Cichlids. All the filter media, most of the gravel, and the sponge over the filter intake went into the 20 gallon to seed it for future fish.

I intend to get 7 more Ruby Tetras, if I can find any, or Ember Tetras, since I have heard they will school.

I know for a fact I want 5-6 Panda Cory Cats. Other than that, I am open to ideas. The following fish have been suggested to me by my LFS:
    -Celestial Pearl Danios
    -Sparkling Gourami
    -Scarlet Badis
    -Some of the Smaller Killifish
    -RCS or other small, colorful shrimp

I really like the Sparkling Gouramis, so I was thinking a group of 3 of those.
    Thanks so much for all your help!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Since you have ruby tetras already, you need at least 3 more. They won't school properly with ember tetras and need more of their own species.

Is this a 20 gal tall or long?

3. OP
    OP
    hayer

Is there a place I could order them online? Because no where in MD do they sell them. I bought them in NC. So when I go back to school in August I can get more. I'll have a total of 10 then.
    It's a 20 gallon tall, the kind in the Petsmart kits.

4. TexasDomer

Check Aquabid, Wetspot, MsJinkzd, Trinsfish, etc.

You could do something like this?

10-12x Ruby tetra
    6x Panda cories
    3x Sparkling gourami

5. OP
    OP
    hayer

Ok thank you! I will certainly check. I know that Trinsfish doesn't have them but I'm thinking aqua is might! :)

If I didn't do sparkling Gouramis, what else could I do? Does anyone have killifish reccomendations?

Thank you so much for your advice!

6. TexasDomer

You could do peacock gudgeons? A pair of one of the Aphyosemion species might work too.

7. OP
    OP
    hayer

MsJinkzD sells Ruby Tetras, but she doesn't have any in stock, so i am keeping a sharp eye on her current stock page. Has anyone had experience ordering from her? How is it?

The peacock gudgeons are pretty! Definitely something to consider. Thanks so much!

Since I already have two Amano Shrimp, can I get smaller varieties of shrimp, or will the Amanos pick them apart?

What about a Honey Sunset Gourami or a Licorice Gourami?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  8. TexasDomer

I ordered some fish from her and it was a great experience. All fish arrived alive and well.

You can definitely add other shrimp with the Amanos. They're peaceful!

If you do licorice gourami, aim for a pair or a group. Two honey gouramis would be fine too!

9. OP
    OP
    hayer

Thank you so much for all your help!

Sorry in advance but I have another request. If I was to give my Ruby Tetras to the LFS so I could get some hardier , bigger fish, how should I stock it? I'm open to anything but I would still really like a least one Black Molly and the Panda Cories. The Amano Shrimp, and possibly some smaller ones(although these aren't necessary), would still be in there.

Thank you again TexasDomer, you've been so amazing!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  10. TexasDomer

I don't think mollies are appropriate for a 20 gal. Would you consider replacing it with some black guppies?

11. OP
    OP
    hayer

Are they too big for a 20 gallon? Or do they just need more swimming room?

12. TexasDomer

Both, plus they have a large bioload.

13. OP
    OP
    hayer

This is very embarrassing. I just found the box and it is actually a 29 gallon. Should've asked for the box when my dad gave me the tank! I'm so sorry!

I have also decided to donate the Ruby Tetras to my LFS so I have more options.

Would a Molly work in the 29? I just want one.

Sorry for the confusion!

14. TexasDomer

Yep!

What about something like this:

10x Black ruby barbs
    1-2x Male mollies
    8-10x Panda cories

15. OP
    OP
    hayer

What about:

1x Black Male Molly
    1-2x Rams
    8x Small Tetra
    2-3x Male Platies
    6x Panda Cory Cats
    2x Amano Shrimp

I have not quite decided on the tetras/barbs/rasboras yet, but I would prefer and a hardier kind if you have any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  16. TexasDomer

The ones I listed are hardier, but most any you could want will be fine in a cycled tank (if they're size and fish compatible).

Harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, skirt tetra, glowlight tetra, etc. Do you like particular colors for your schooling fish?

I would only get 1 ram since you have cories - rams can be aggressive when breeding and cories have no concept of territory. And you'll have to get a Bolivian ram as they're temp compatible with pandas (as blue, German blue, gold, electric blue, balloon, etc. rams are not).

17. OP
    OP
    hayer

I am just not a huge fan of the larger/nippier barbs. Thank you for the suggestion though!

I love Harlequin Rasboras, however I would like them to be more colorful. Cherry Barbs are a good color. Would I do three males and three females? I will keep them in mind though!

Lemon Tetras are not very hardy are they? I love their bright color.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  18. TexasDomer

Not all barbs are nippy, and those I listed aren't large. If kept in properly sized schools, fish don't usually nip others.

I think that would be fine for the cherry barbs, though you could also do all males for more colorful fish.

19. OP
    OP
    hayer

Oh, my apologies then! I always likened Black Ruby Barbs to Tiger Barbs in terms of their behavior.

If I could do all males that would be amazing! I also really like bright blues, but all I can think of are Neon Tetras and Cardinal Tetras.

20. TexasDomer

They're pretty peaceful actually! Much less nippy than tiger barbs.

And if you like blue fish, what about blue tetra?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice