Tankmates for platys

1. PlatyGurl2015 Initiate Member

So I am going to my lfs later today to pick up some tankmates for my 2 male sunset platys. I was thinking a guppy or 2 but I read you shouldn't keep different livebearers together. THANKS for the advise

2. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Where did you hear that you shouldnt keep different livebearers together??? Ive kept mollys platys and sword tails all together and had no problems. What is the size of the tank?

3. PlatyGurl2015 Initiate Member

It is a 10g but they are the only ones in it - I read it on here and a couple of other forums.

4. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Oh ok thanks. You can either get 2 more platies and thats it or you can get 2 guppies. I wouldnt try going anything more than 5 fish in a 10g what kind of filter do you have? Live bearers give off a lot of waste and its a lot of bioload for some filters.

5. PlatyGurl2015 Initiate Member

Last time I was at my lfs I saw a very pretty male guppy I wanted to test my water before getting another fish (0 ammonia 0 nitrite 6 nitrate) I was wondering if one male guppy would be okay for my tank

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can do 2-3 male guppies with your platies if you wanted, I think.

7. PlatyGurl2015 Initiate Member

Would he be okay if I just got him. Would he need another guppy or would he be fine with just the platys

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

He'd be fine by himself, but he might be more comfortable with another guppy friend.

9. PlatyGurl2015 Initiate Member

Thanks hopefully will post so pictures when I get back

10. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Gurl...

Other livebearing fish are fine with your Platys. I would avoid Mollies. They're not a good fish for a first timer to the hobby. Too sensitive to changes in the water. This happens when you're a beginner, you make mistakes in tank management.

Just keep their tank water clean with large, frequent water changes and feed a varied diet and you'll have a tankful in a few months.

Old

11. PlatyGurl2015 Initiate Member

Thanks for the advise old. I have been doing weekly water changes of about 25%. Is that enough? I feed a mix of flakes and freeze dried blood worms.

I have a aqueon quietflow 10 filter and a 50w aqueon preset heater

12. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello again Gurl...

I'm a water change fanatic, so I'd say any water change less than half the volume of the tank isn't near enough. The purer the tank water, the healthier the fish, no doubt about it.

If you're getting out the gear to do a water change, then change out a lot. It doesn't tank a whole lot longer to remove a few more gallons and the fish will respond with better color and live longer.

Oops, forgot about feeding. Feed a variety of flakes with low phosphate, freeze dried foods, pellets and wafers. Don't forget frozen too. Fish are just like people, they thrive with a variety of foods.

Old