Tankmates for my cichlids

lemonbean

hi everyone! I’m relatively new to owning African cichlids, but i really want to learn more about them! Right now, I have a 55 gal tank with 1 kenyi, 1 demasoni, 1 johanni, 1 yellow lab, 1 cichlid that i’m not sure what he is, 1 red tail black shark, and 3 synodontis catfish. My tank has about 7-8 caves and also rocks with plenty of holes, and then some fake plant decor. My water levels are great, i have a heater for them, and my filter is working great. I was looking to add in some more cichlids but wanted to see if i could get a good idea of who would and wouldn’t be good tank mates for what i’ve got. I was looking at 2 elongatus, the chewre and the ruarwe, and also potentially a yellow/ white tail acei and a labidochromis yellow fin mbamba. I’ve been told so many different things about compatibility from fish stores, other people, and from looking things up on the internet. I’ve been told it’ll be 100% fine, i’ve also been told that my fish tank will end in many deaths… So I thought that this was the place to go!

Everyone in my tank right now is very small, my tank boss is only about 2”, and they all get along fine. So based off what i’ve got in my tank now, and what i was looking to add, would it work out?

Also, if someone could help me find out what kind of cichlid this guy is, that would be great! He seems to change colors whenever i see him as well as sometimes he has stripes, other times he does not! So pretty though He’s the one in the front in the second picture, then there’s one when he has his stripes!

Attachments

• BD5B7812-5BF2-401D-BE46-B6BA963C40AB.jpeg
    BD5B7812-5BF2-401D-BE46-B6BA963C40AB.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 981690FE-F2D5-420C-A389-91B189CDDA0F.jpeg
    981690FE-F2D5-420C-A389-91B189CDDA0F.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 27

Bwood22

It looks like a cynotilapia. Im thinking it's a female Afra.

Your main antagonists will be the johanni and the demasoni based on their reputation but I take that with a grain of salt. Ive never kept Mbuna with one of those sharks so I can't speak to that, but i have kept mbuna with some very unorthodox fish for an mbuna tank and everything was just fine. Just make sure that you overstock your mbunas and keep your water changes up.
I might add 12-15 more mbuna.
Pick out whatever you want. Your tank will need to be busy with chaos. But you should be fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigBeardDaHuZi
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies