Tankmates for my 2 bichirs.

1. Bob_Marley88 Initiate Member

Hello all!

I would like a nice school of fish to utilize the mid to upper level of the tank. The Bichirs try and eat anything in their reach on the bottom of the tank. I also have two chinese algae eaters and the both of them have almost became food or just dead from the Bichirs trying to eat them. They are a bit to big to swallow though so they are still surviving.

just bought a dozen ghost shrimp today just to see how that would work out with the bichirs, (i knew some of them would become food and that was part of the reason of purchase), the bichirs really become active with live food ive never seen them like this before its pretty cool. Suprisingly though about 7 shrimp remain and are giving them a run for their money to survive. Ghost shrimp smart and quick!

I would really like to do Cichilds, i know they can be aggresive but do you think they will give my bichirs ? Or are they only agressive against other fish that swim their level? I kinda wanted to do a crayfish as well, i saw some at a Petland today. What i do not know is if it will constantly try and attack the bichirs or vice versa?

Thanks in advance!

2. TayJay76 Member Member

There are some cichlids that would be fine, just as long as they aren't big enough for the bichirs to eat. I wouldn't do a crawfish because they would just end up like the algea eaters. Most cichlids are only agressive when they are mating or to eachother, I don't think that they would really bother the bichirs. Btw welcome to fishlore!

3. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

What type of bichir is it and how many gallons is your tank

4. Bob_Marley88 Initiate Member

Thanks for the responses, is there a certain cichlid that is less agressive than another? And they are dino bichirs. I have a 30 gal with a few plants and rocks.

5. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Nothing. No fish, infact an upgrade is in store.

What is a Dino bichir? Get me a scientific name, OR is it a Violet Goby(sold as Dino eels). Either way, both violet gobies and the smallest species of bichir need tanks of around 40+gals. 40gals for 1 Violet gobie. 55+ for the smallest bichir.

The easiest way i can think to ID them is 1. where you get them and 2. how much.

Which ever the case, we need to ID them so we can help you plan out the next step.

6. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Soltarian scientific name for dino bichir is polypterus senegalus. :)

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Ive actually never heard the senegalus be called dinos XP. Go figure. If thats the case a 48" tank, around 55+gals is needed for 1 of these fish. When they grow up they can fight and it does end with the death of 1.

8. Bob_Marley88 Initiate Member

Well i believe one is a male and the other is a female. THey attack everything in the tank except each other, they even sleep next to each other. And i know i will have to upgrade in the not so distant future but for now they are not that big and they basically have to whole tank to themselves. And "dino bichir" is what is was labeled at petsmart. THey have plenty of space right now which is why i kinda feel more fish is needed to bring the tank to life.

I just cant decide which kind. The last thing i want to do is have a overstocked tank and lose any fish because of it.

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

In this case, none still. These fish wont grow in a tank too small btw. They will stop and then over time get sick. You need to upgrade now, for young a 40gal is the minimum. Im not trying to be mean but this is serious. They will eat most anything in the tank that fits in their mouth, and theres nothing you could put in their that wont fit in their mouth or get torn up trying.

Aside from calling them a eel every sentence they arnt all wrong here.

10. bigblue55 Member Member

I know what kind of bichir he is talking about. I have seen them at petsmart, and boy do they get big! If they can reach 18" like petsmart says, and I have already seen around 12" ones, then like solitarian said, you are going to need a 40-50 gallon tank for right now, and eventually you will probably need a 60-70 gallon tank.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, petsmart sells them as dinosaur bichirs. You definitely need a larger tank, and IMO a 55 is not large enough - a 48x18 is needed like bigblue said. Bichirs that are the same size will be fine together, but if one is much bigger than the other the smaller will likely be eaten.

Mine does not burrow or dig, ever, and is not a secretive rock dweller, though they are available to it.

Here's my 75 gallon african tank. I don't remember if the bichir makes an appearance or not. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CHfFHfVRQw

12. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

...i want that tank.