Tankmates for multis in a 20g?

Ghelfaire

My nephew is getting a 20g standard tank (I know long is better but it's still better than a 10g) and he wants shell dwellers.
Are there any good tankmates that can go in there with them?I've read everything from guppies to halfbeaks to dwarf rainbow fish but I want to hear from people who have had experience with these fish before we do anything.

jkkgron2

I don’t have multis, but I have a different species of shellies and they get very terrritorial when breeding (I actually lost a pair because of territory issues ) and multis are one of the easier to breed shellies, so I’m guessing they’ll breed. If they do then any tankmates in a tank that size could be attacked if the multis are defending fry.

MacZ

Guppies will end up as food. I would leave them alone. After a few months there will be a problem to get rid of all the shellie babies anyway.

Ghelfaire

Ok thanks, I'm just worried that he might get bored with the tank. Will they swim around the middle too or just 100% stick to the bottom?

jkkgron2

Ghelfaire said:
Ok thanks, I'm just worried that he might get bored with the tank. Will they swim around the middle too or just 100% stick to the bottom?
Mine swim in the middle, but if they’re scared they’ll stick to the bottom. Not sure if multis are the same though.

MacZ

Ghelfaire said:
Hard to predict. Sometimes the males and juveniles will hoover above the colony. But it depends on the lighting, how much movement is around the tank... Really, no idea. It can vary a lot.

MacZ

QCAquaholic said:
Hatchet fish perhaps?
Completely different requirements.

Honestly, one can try to make suggestions, in the end, Tanganyikans should stay among Tanganyikans and that means in a 20 gallon with a colony of multies the tank is stocked. :/

Ghelfaire

Thanks everyone

Latest threads

Top Bottom