Tankmates for mollies

Jynx

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've read different accounts on whether or not to keep other fish with Mollies or not. So I would love for some of you to share your stories on what kind of fish you keep with yours, and what the turn out has been. I currently have 2 black skirt tetras, and 2 white skirt tetras in a 55 gal tank, and I'm looking for some more beautiful fish to add, and Mollies have really caught my eye.

I thought about guppies (I'm a sucker for long colorful fins), but heard that they like to tail nip, and I don't want to have to separate them, so I just got the tetras.

~Jynx

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i kept guppies with mollies, they r cool, no fin nipping so far. tetras r schooling fish i think u have to keep at least 6 of them in a tank.

somedude

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank with 15 Tetras and 5 Mollies and a Betta and they all seem to get along fine.
Hope this helps

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
somedude said:
I have a 55 gallon tank with 15 Tetras and 5 Mollies and a Betta and they all seem to get along fine.
Hope this helps
hi somedude, i think you'll be in trouble!!! bettas don't like mollies as they look like female bettas!!!! actually bettas love to live alone.

somedude

Reaction score
Neville said:
hi somedude, i think you'll be in trouble!!! bettas don't like mollies as they look like female bettas!!!! actually bettas love to live alone.
Hi Neville
When I bought the Bettas,the guy at the fishstore told me I could put 2 in the tank together,so I did..not so good.
So I took one out. As far as the Betta and the Mollies they dont seem to bother each other,they have been living together for 3 months now

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mollies do great with Swordtails, Platties, Loaches, Catfish and certain Tetras.. at least mine do..so much so, I've gotten a batch of Platties whose coloration looks suspiciously like the father was one of a number of Dalmatian Mollies in the tank!.. mixing Mollies with other livebearers can sometimes make for some interesting fish hybrids.

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mine are with Platys, a Pleco, and guppies.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Mine are with plecos.

They are very inquisitive and interactive. They are not scared of me at all - sometimes i wish they were when they get in my way when I am doing something delicate in the tank! They follow me around when I move to the other side of the tank. They are voracious eaters and I believe they would literally eat themselves to death if you were to fall victim to their constant (cute) begging.

They're at their happiest for me at 25 to 26 degrees, with slightly salty water.

A couple of drawbacks:

The males need many females (at least 4 I would say), and the females need many hiding places. Otherwise, he'll just harasse them to death.

They like to nip at plants and, as they like a bit of salt, not ideal companions for live plants.

They are really dirty (produce a lot of waste) so you'll need to keep up with regular vaccuming.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom