20 Gallon Tank Tankmates for kuhli loaches.

clownie99

Hi!

I recently lost all my fish in my 20 gallon due to a chemical in the tank but after running carbon in the tank and furiously water changing I believe it is out.

I have been researching fish for this tank and have fallen in love with kuhli loaches. I have heard they can be shy when kept with really active fish but I have never kept them so I wouldn't know.

I don't really mind what is in the tank with them as long as they will not be stressed out by them. What have you guys kept with kuhli loaches that worked well?

Demeter

Bettas, rice fish, and guppies are all I've kept my kuhlis with. They are great little bottom feeders that will get along with pretty much anything so long as they will not be seen as fancy fish noodles! They prefer darker tanks, keep the tank nice and shady with some plants and they will be out and about more often. My little group of 5 java/black kuhlis rarely hides and is never shy of their tank mates. And they seem to live forever! Not sure how old mine are anymore but the only time I've actually had some die was when my heater went out and the temps dropped for a few days before I could get a new heater (it was during Christmas).

Be sure to provide hiding spots and smooth substrate, rough gravel is a no-no.

clownie99

Bettas, rice fish, and guppies are all I've kept my kuhlis with. They are great little bottom feeders that will get along with pretty much anything so long as they will not be seen as fancy fish noodles! They prefer darker tanks, keep the tank nice and shady with some plants and they will be out and about more often. My little group of 5 java/black kuhlis rarely hides and is never shy of their tank mates. And they seem to live forever! Not sure how old mine are anymore but the only time I've actually had some die was when my heater went out and the temps dropped for a few days before I could get a new heater (it was during Christmas).

Be sure to provide hiding spots and smooth substrate, rough gravel is a no-no.
Thank you! Will they be okay on a very smooth gravel? It is very close to being completely circular and each piece is about a 1/2 of a fingernail. IF not I would be fine with changing the substrate.

Demeter

Thank you! Will they be okay on a very smooth gravel? It is very close to being completely circular and each piece is about a 1/2 of a fingernail. IF not I would be fine with changing the substrate.

Smooth pea gravel is okay, in fact that is the only substrate in which I’ve heard people have successfully bred them on, but they were only the black kuhlis. I would imagine eggs and tiny fry are not so easily eaten up between the gravel. Also, I have seen them burrow into gravel when frightened. Mine never dig in their sand though.

You should do some looking around at the different species of kuhlis. I was able to find one of the giant kuhlis and that was my favorite until my faulty heater killed it off.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
55 Gallon Tank Kuhli Loach Companions
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
artisticaardwolf
  • Question
Replies
Views