Tankmates for guppies/molly? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by riptide904, Jan 4, 2013.

1. riptide904Valued MemberMember

My shrimpies just died and I'd like to get some more fish for my 10G tank.

The current residents are down to two male guppy siblings and one female molly (Had to give away the male, too aggressive to the guppies). I also have 4 molly fry in a separate tank, (I don't know gender or how many more will live, but I'd only keep the females).

So I guess, is there any good fish to add to my tank? Preferably easy to keep with some color to them, bonus points if they can help with eating small snails ;)

2. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Try rainbow tetras and zebras . Right now your tank sounds very boring and has zero to no colour. Try adding 4 rainbows they do well in larger schools as well if you have space no odd numbers and maybe a male betta as a centrepiece . I have housed bettas for years and they do great with fish like neons that can dart away however guppies are a little big slower. I don't see a problem thought and zebras are hardy fish they do well with almost any changes and such so maybe a few zebras neons and a betta and you should be good . And bettas LOVE snails. One time I purchased a rock and insider were these small snails and they INFESTED my tank. My goldy ate them like mad and my betta went crazy!!

3. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Bettalover, please be aware of tank size, as well as current stocking, before recommending fish. 10 gallons is not suitable for Mollies, most tetras, or Zebra Dainos.

Riptide, do you have plans on upgrading the Molly? They reach 4-6 inches in size and have tempers when couped up. How about switching it out for something more suitable?

4. riptide904Valued MemberMember

I haven't thought about it, but seeing as she's still pretty small and shows no sign of aggression at the moment, I don't see why I can't upgrade in a while. I'm still saving up for a goldfish upgrade at the moment, but I'll get something if I can in the next couple of months (Though I have no idea where to put it- the kitchen counters are running out of space!) . Would a twenty gallon be good enough for her?

I have no plans to get a betta, danios, or more mollies at the moment, but I am considering adding one or two male guppies to the mix. Would they get along fine? The guppies and the molly have been together for months, and don't poke at each other at all.

5. riptide904Valued MemberMember

Also, if I get a larger tank, would a female betta be out of the question? I think they're supposed to be less aggressive than the males, but I still don't know how they'd interact with the others.

6. JennadennyNew MemberMember

Hi I don't mean to be rude but I'm new to this site and I can't find anywhere to post a question can someone help me please

7. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Females bettas tend to be a little less aggressive than the males and I know a lot of people keep them in a community tank, but a lot depends on the individual fish. They all have different personalities. If you do try it, just make sure you have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out.

8. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

The Molly can go in with the goldfish, provided there's no bullying going on. Some mollies are particularly brattish.

I would not mix sexes in that small of a tank. You'll be over run with fry in no time!

9. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

At the top of the page, click on "aquarium fish forums". It should take you to a page with all the different categories. You can pick out your topic from there and click on "start new thread" at the top.

And Welcome to Fishlore! :)

10. riptide904Valued MemberMember

I'm not sure I want the molly in there, being that the tropical tank is noticeably warmer than the goldies'. I keep it near 80F, while the cold water tank is closer to 70-74. I'm actually more worried about the goldfish picking on her, they can be quite the brats to each other, let alone a smaller fish.

11. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Sorry I didn't see the aquarium size :/

12. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I have mollies in my 150 gallon out door goldfish pond. They pick on my 9 inch goldfish, but given the goldfishes size, they don't really care. Mollies and goldfish both can stand a wide range of temps as long as whatever temp they are at is reletively stable.