Tankmates for Acara Cichlid and Angels

1. Katiec90 Member Member

I currently have 1 large and one small Acara Cichlid, a pleco, and 2 small angels. I've had them for about 2 weeks and switching to a 55 gal next month for their comfort. Is a 55 gallon big enough for me to comfortably add any new tank mates? If so, any suggestions? And should i switched from crushed coral to sand?

2. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Id switch if you can

3. Katiec90 Member Member

Anyone with anything to add?

4. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

You should definitely switch from crushed coral to sand, as these are all soft water fish. Personally I wouldn't add more cichlids, but I would add some dithers. There are many tetras to choose from if you want to stay biotopically correct, or there are rasboras and barbs etc. There's quite a lot of choice really. Which Acaras are they?

5. Katiec90 Member Member

They are electric blue acaras. This Is the biggest one. I definitely want to avoid more cichlids. [​IMG]

I also need to make sure my big girl wont eat anyone lol

6. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Oh right, the one in your avatar, that makes sense, lol. :)

As long as other fish are too big to eat they should be fine.

7. Katiec90 Member Member

Dithers for Acara/Angel tank?

I have 2 small Angelfish and 2 very large Electric Blue Acara. I'm wanting to get some dither fish when I upgrade my tank to a 55 gal, but I'm having issues in deciding what to get.
    Partially because I want some color on the tank, also because my Acara are very large and can easily swallow smaller tetra. I like Barbs, but I've heard mixed things about them being fin nippers. Any suggestions or input are greatly appreciated[​IMG].

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What about Congo tetra? They should be large enough not to be eaten, and they're temp compatible.

9. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Giant danios are my personal favorite dither fish for medium/large cichlids.

10. Katiec90 Member Member

Oh those are lovely! Schools or 5-6

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

In a 55 gal with only 2 angels and 2 acaras, I'd do 8-10.

12. Katiec90 Member Member

I was thing something with more color, but they would look great with the Acara!

13. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Giant danios actually have incredible color. Bright blues and yellows on the flank of the fish. They're the poor man's rainbowfish -- I love them.

Tetras don't really qualify as dithers IMO. They're school loosely if at all when they're comfortable. Danios stay at the top of the tank, they're incredibly fast and they're gorgeous.

They're the only fish I can keep with my 9inch Jack Dempsey that he can't catch for a snack.

14. Katiec90 Member Member

What size tank is your Jack Dempsey in? I love them but its going to be awhile before I can get a thank big enough for one to be comfortable.

15. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

75 gallon. He's got 9 giant danios and a juvenile female JD in there with him.

16. JeffK Well Known Member Member

How about a school of praecox rainbowfish?

17. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Ifyoure still loking for ideas, gold barbs are quite colorful and even a small group sticks together.
    theyre usually only nippy with fish their own sizeor smaller.

18. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

19. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

20. Shadowfox118 Member Member

Tigers are mean but then again so can mollies and platies, they eat angelfish fins if the angels are on the smaller size