Tankmates for a Zebra loach

AnPhi20

Hi, I need a bit of helping trying to find which other fish would be suitable to go in my 60 litre freshwater tank to go with a Zebra Loach that is already in it.
I got the tank when I was 10 and originally we filled it with guppies and neon tetras but ended up having a snail infestation. We were told by a local shop that we should get a snail eating fish (the Zebra Loach) to help with the problem - but weren't told that they should be in groups of 5, that one was enough to get rid of snails (I now know this was bad advice). All the other fish eventually died and my parents didn't want anymore fish so we were waiting for the Z.Loach to go (naturally - we still took care of it as usual) to sell the tank. Years later, it's still alive and healthy and I've decided I'd like to get back into keeping tropical fish (I'm 20 now and have enough money and time to look after the tank unlike before). I've been scouring the internet to try and find compatible tank mates for my zebra loach ( I THINK it's male but am unsure if this even matters) who is quite shy. I've never seen it be aggressive towards the other original fish but noticed the tails of the guppies were quite frayed sometimes and I read somewhere that Z.Loaches can nip their tails (although I thought this was fin rot at the time). It hides under the bridge a lot especially if there's anyone near the tank and likes to hide near the filter, and occasionally scale the tank walls sometimes.

I'd quite like tetras but am unsure if they're suitable, and would also quite like other suggestions for fish too if anyone would be able to help. My tank also has a lot of problems with algae and I've read that certain types of catfish or a siamese algae eater might be good BUT that zebra loaches can become aggressive towards other bottom dwellers? I definitely need help with this.

Thank you for reading this, I appreciate there's probably a lot of extra unnecessary information but any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jake37

zebra loaches are peaceful shy fishes as long as you're not a snail. I keep mine with other peaceful loaches (they like swimming with the yoyo), cory, kuhli and such. I also have cardinal tetra and serpae tetra along with some pleco and angelfish. No one seems to make much of a wave. Your tank is a bit smaller. You could get some more zebra loaches (you'd be better off with more zebra than yoyo since yoyo can get quite a bit larger); some cory (if you want - he'll ignore the cory); some kuhli (he will probably ignore the kuhli but there is a small chance if he swims a bit the kuhli will join him); or whatever fish you want as long as it is peaceful and temp. compatible. Just don't get too many fishes for a small tank.

Upvote 0

AnPhi20

Thank you! This was helpful!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Motherlovebetta
  • Loaches
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views