Tankmates For A Female Betta

leonine1412

Reaction score
I have a female betta in a 20 gallon tank (I'm not sure if its long or tall or if its even a 20 gallon tank, tetra listed it as 20 gallons but its 24 inches long, 12 inches high and 12 inches wide) by herself and wanted to add some tank mates in the future. originally I wanted to do shrimp or frogs but I'm worried about my betta getting to the shrimp or my frogs not getting enough food, so I'm trying to move on from that. I was thinking of getting maybe 6 pygmy cories and a nerite snail but I'm really not sure... does anyone have any stocking ideas?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stay away from frogs, it will be hard to feed the frogs their own food as the betta will be a pig, as all bettas are. I'd do kuhlI loaches and then you can try cardinal tetras or a small rasbora species. Just make sure they are temperature compatible and you have enough for a school.

btw you have a 20gal tall as a long will have the same footprint as a 29gal, so 30in long.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn’t suggest any fish tank mates in this tank, you have a high not a long. You should really only ever do a betta community with a heavily planted 20 gallon long minimum(kuhlis also need a long imo).

You could do frogs, you just have to be more attentive the feeding, but it’s not to big a deal. You can just a turkey Bastet to get the frozen food to the frogs while feeding the betta in another corner. Shrimp may work, it’s rwally a hit or miss with bettas. There’s some wonderful snails too, like a Japanese trap door that would be really interesting in a betta tank.

wolfdog01

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nerites! I have 12 in my 20 gallon with my male betta. I love them!
IMAG6104.jpg

InsanityShard

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whatever you do don't add shrimp. I was happy with my stocking, thinking the betta will eat the babies and get some live food out of it, everything will be fine... And then he took out 3/4 of the population in 3 weeks and is so fat I'm considering putting him down. Maybe an apple snail? They will probably nip off the antennae and air tubes and stuff occasionally but they're huge and tough, easy to care for, and too big for the betta to kill if you grow it out first.

Iverg1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Depends on the betta with shrimp or snails. Some bettas will tolerate snails (like my male) and some will try to murder them (like my female)

New Threads