Tankmates for 5 cherry barbs

peel316

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 125 litter tank with 5 cherry barbs in. I was wondering if any one could help in suggesting what the best fish to add next I try to add 4 Guppies but they die. So not too sure what to add next. Would love to add Mollies & some Neon Tetra as well,
Also what would be a good bottom feeder for a newbie to the hobby to have?
Thanks for any help.

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: suggestions on tankmates for 5 cherry barbs

I also have 5 Cherry Barbs, beautiful fish but not as peaceful as sites say from my experience!! Def fin nippers but funny characters! Just be careful mine are cute beasts! Have Checker barbs and white cloud minnows wi mine, all shoal together. I'm a newbie too.....Good luck!!

jason in houston

Reaction score

a school of ottos are good at keeping algae low and are very cute

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

For awhile I kept 3 Cherries with 3 Rosy Barbs and 3 Green Tiger Barbs. They all got alnog well. The Rosies would hang out with the Tigers, and the Cherries were fiesty enough that no one messed with them. They were also with 3 young Tin Foil Barbs who have since out grown and out lived all but 1 Rosy and 1 Tiger. :-[ Moving to a new house can be rough.
Cherries make for a nice school of slightly fiesty fish. Had some guppies with them for a day. Bad idea. Everyone picked on them.
Well, don't know if tha

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Doh, stupid touch pad. Sorry Just wanted to finish saying. Don't know if it helps but I really like these fish . Barbs with Barbs was always my theme.

Wyvern10

Reaction score

I have 6 Cherry Barbs in my 29 gallon. They share the space with 3 Black Ruby Barbs, one Molly and 2 Corys. The Cherrys tend to keep to themselves. One of the two males has become the dominate one and keeps the others in check. The rest of the fish leave them alone. I don't believe I have seen any fin nipping.

peel316

Reaction score

Hi

Thanks for all your suggestions I think I will go and get a 2 Mollies this weekend
And try these in the tank.
Plus I love the idea of having some oto catfish in there as well.
But will leave these out for a couple of weeks not to over stock.
Or would I be better putting in the oto catfish or similar in fist.
I have lost one of the Cherry barbs don’t know were it is in my tank so I’m down to just 4 at the moment

Thanks again for all the suggestions

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score

I also made mistake of adding 3 guppies in with my CB's!! 2 days were fine then one morning 2 had fins and tails ripped apart, were dying and other fighting back! Bought a tank for him, he sadly died last week! :'(

Please let us know how the Mollies get on with the others!

lolagurl

Valued Member
Reaction score

My opinion, a barb shouldnt be put with guppies or mollies. Guppies are small, and mollies ane very peaceful. I had a very small tiger barb and it tormented the two mollies and guppies, it was killing them, so I had to get rid of it. This may not be your case, but even most fish stores will say. it will say under the barbs that they are aggressive. Especially if you have five barbs and maybe only put in 2-4 mollies or guppies.

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In rather late, but I am keeping mine with tiger barbs and the tigers and cherries are pretty much leaving each other alone. Although, like the tigers, the cherries are actually fighting with each other. I need to try to correct this by getting 4 more (only have 2).

OSCARTheGrouch

Reaction score
I have 5 Cherry Barbs with 6 SwordTails and eventually 2 Gouarmi. The cherrys have all ways been peaceful and shy for me. So as long as they stay that way the Gouarmis should be fine My cherrys are great

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom