Tankmate?

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I can't remember what the policy is here for X-posting... let me know if this is policy violation.
I posted in the catfish forum about the fact that I would like to put either my cory or one or two otos (I bought one yeterday so I could make sure he was healthy, but it would be easy to get another.) in with one of my bettas. I know that several people successfully keep catfish with their bettas, and I would simply like to know whether people would recommend the cory or the otos in a five gallon with one of my bettas. I was going to use Ace but have since decided to try aoSul first.
Also, would it be possible for me to put Amaethon in one of the compartments in the 10g (in addition to a betta)? These two tanks (5g and my 10g) are by the window and have some problems with algae, especially the compartment on the end of the 10g.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In a 5 gallon (like I have) I would definitely go with Otocinclus catfish instead of cories. They need to be kept in 2 or 3's and cories just get too big for a 5 gallon with a betta. They will make good tank mates but if the Betta is already established get ready for some resistance on his part. He is going to see it as an invasion in his territory. He just does not play well with other fish but after all he was an orphan and doesn't know any better. Just be patient and gently tap the side of the tank when he is naughty and eventually he will learn hopefully.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
the oto definately!!! Inari is highly territorial like most bettas but he left the oto alone after a day or so once he realized that spasy (my oto) wasn't getting any of his food or attention!!
good luck

~inari

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks a million.  I have my new oto, Irae, exploring his new tank (much to the annoyance of aoSul, who has been displaced by Ace, so that aoSul can be moved into the 5g once Irae is used to it).  I'll go get another oto in a day or so, to keep Irae company. 

EDITED TO INCLUDE:
well, aoSul seems happy enough with Irae in his tank, and Irae is, as far as I can tell, pleased with aoSul as a tankmate (he will be even more happy when I get him a new Oto friend).  So everything is going well so far.  aoSul will sometimes "chase" him around the tank, but it is slow and non aggressive, like he's saying "What are YOU? Look, mommy got me a toy that moves! Hmmm... well it doesn't seem dangerous." Its rather cute, actually.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
that is wonderful to hear...Inari did the same thing then when he found out that it was fish then everytime I came near the tanki he flarded at me as if This is my area u jerk!!!

have fun with ur spasy oto :)

~Inari

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope you understood that the otos need to be kept in groups of 2's or 3's and so you will need a minimum of 2 in a 5 gallon tank so please do not put a single in with a Betta as the oto will not survive as long as if they have a tank mate to play with. It is really much preferable to get them at the same time.

Thanks,
Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also Otos greatly benefit from live plants. And be sure to keep the water clean, clean, clean! I learned that the hard way...my poor Marble and Mist especially each came down with nasty finrot, and my nitrates weren't even too high for other fish--right around 20. Otos can be pretty delicate. (although I've learned they're also fighters, both of mine survived.)
Check out www.otocinclus.com
Awesome site, you've gotta read it if you have Otos.
Just a note, if (hopefully WHEN) you get another Oto, they probably won't hang out together right away. Don't worry about it. Otos tend to kind of form "cliques", and Otos added at different times will not become friends right away. But they will start hanging out more eventually. (I got my Otos at the same time, but they were from two different tanks at the store--long story--and it took them a while but now they are best friends.)

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It seems that otos are are also VERY spasy, when i got my oto (spasy) I thought the water was too hot or something and expected to find a fish corpse the next morning so when u introduce ur oto, beware that he is just checking things out don't worry its pretty normal
good luck

~Inari

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Make sure the beasties have some place to hide during the day. It seems like they are the best companions for a betta. And of course there are always snails...

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Irae started out very calm. He's getting much more spazy now. Its cute to watch.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
atleast he hasn't swam into ur betta Inari was so mad when it forst happened :-D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love my combination tanks. They took a while to get used to each other but now they actually seem to like each other. I still have one Oto who was by himself for a couple of months who will not get close to the other 2 but it is his choice and he is happy enough so I do not worry about it. (He was actually the only fish in the whole 5 gallon tank for about a month and doesn't really like anyone now)

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom