Tankmate(s) for 6 tiger barbs, 2 kissing gourami and potential crayfish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by 1911 guy, Jul 12, 2015.

1. 1

1911 guy New Member Member

Hi, all. New here. Had a 20 gallon years ago, sold it when I moved. Kids wanted another aquarium, which brings me to the question.

I have a 30 gallon tank. Bought used, jumpstarted with filter from seller, cycled 2 weeks empty. Ammonia dropped to 0, added 6 tiger barbs. Shortly after, added 2 kissing gourami. The barbs were my idea, the gourami were my daughters. Simply because they're "kissing" and she's six.

My son has his heart set on a crayfish. He'd be content with one from the creek behind the park, but I'm looking at options. Have not made a decision what type yet. Maybe one from the creek!

All plants are plastic. Temp is 78F, PH 7.6, Ammonia 0, nitrite/nitrate unknown (gotta buy the API master test kit)

What would be good fish to add, considering the potential for a crayfish? The gourami are decent size (3" or so right now), the barbs are smaller (1") but schooled up and feisty. I don't want to add something just to have it eaten by the crayfish. I'd considered large tetras, but not sure I want to add a second schooling fish. It will be another month at least before anything else is added.

2. l

lobstahlights Valued Member Member

If you want a crayfish to get along with your others, get a dwarf, apparently they get along fine. My cray is not friendly and will try to hunt or fight fish even as big as her (as I recently learned.) A wild cray is probably even more likely to be a predator.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Mixing a crayfish with fish is definitely a bad idea. Either the crayfish will eat the fish or the fish will eat the crayfish. Things can go only bad.

I believe kissing gouramis are too big for a 30 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

Show your son some Dojo loaches and see if they will perk his interest.

Welcome to Fishlore.

5. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Kissers get far too large for a 30 gallon.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I would have the tiger barbs in a bigger group of around 15 or more if you want them not to be as nippy.
    And yes, kissing gouramis are too big for a 30 gallon.
    And crayfish will eat fish. I learned the hard way.

7. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

All of the above posters gave excellent advise. If it were my tank I would have it be a species only tank with a large school of tiger barbs. If you add some amano shrimp, your child would be quite amused by them.

8. OP
    OP

1911 guy New Member Member

About the gourami. I found out after i bought them that they got significantly larger than the blue gourami I had years ago. The good news is that I have room to upgrade to a 55 gallon (and have access to one) and they and the barbs seem to be getting along just fine.

The crayfish might have to be relegated to a separate tank, as I've heard similar advice from others since i began asking around. Either that, or show him the shrimp and loaches mentioned here.

Thanks, everybody.

9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes I would continuously monitor the tiger barbs. Sometimes you have to up the numbers to tone down the aggression. In bigger groups, they usually just show aggression amongst themselves. You are one of the lucky few with no aggression issues with a school of six.

10. l

lobstahlights Valued Member Member

The crayfish are pretty darn cool so I think a separate tank would be worth it! My only regret is that I didn't realize I would want to collect fish like Pokemon cards, and now need another tank if I want a community :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice