Tankmate In A 35 Ga

1. DrChief

DrChief New Member Member

I have a 35 Ga community tank...(see profile) I have a German Blue Ram, a Baloon Body Ram and a Betta all in there with no problems at all, they all mind their own business and even swim right next to each other sometimes. The question is, I want to put a gourami in here as well...am I crazy?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Gouramis and bettas don't get along very well. Either the betta is going to kill the gourami or the gourami is going to kill the betta. Neon tetras like cooler temperatures than the temperature range of a betta.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with FishFish

4. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would rehome the Betta and you will have a lot more options open to you. I would get a school of Tetras and/or Rasboras. Gouramis and rams can work but it's iffy in such a small tank.

5. OP
    OP
    DrChief

Ok, so your recommendation is to separate the Neons and Betta for the temp reasons?

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

The german blue ram and the balloon ram are also temp incompatible with the neon tetras. Also, what're the dimensions of the 35g?

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed with the above advice.

8. OP
    OP
    DrChief

The tank is 36x20x12

9. OP
    OP
    DrChief

I've moved the Betta and the Neons to their own 10 gallon. The Betta DEF. seems happier without all the water movement in the 35.

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Neons need a larger tank and cooler water than bettas. Or do you mean they each have their own 10g, one for the tetras and one for the betta?

The tetras will need a larger tank though.

11. OP
    OP
    DrChief

Both Live Aquaria and Aqadvisor give no indication taht the Betta and the Neons need differing temperatures. Are there better sources for temps I should be looking at?

12. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Both Live Aquaria and Aqadvisor are inaccurate. A better source would be researching each individual fish instead of relying on one source.

13. aquatickeeper

Live Aquaria and Aqadvisor are inaccurate. I wouldn't use those sources.

14. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

What sources are known to be consistently accurate? When you look on 2 different places and they both show similar things, there's no reason for a newbie (such as myself) to think it's not accurate. Often times when you look up different fish it will show overlapping temps and then on here I'm told that the fish are incompatible due to temps. I'll even go to fish (not pet) stores and hear similar numbers and after hearing it from 3 sources then being told that those 3 sources are wrong it is very frustrating, especially when I don't know who or what to trust then. This isn't an attack, it's a question that I'm personally looking for an answer to and I'm sure others are also looking for.

Sorry, I didn't mean to steal your thread.

15. aquatickeeper

Seriously Fish, Fishbase, and Planet Catfish are some of the reliable sources. But not all sources have all correct info. Also, fish can't be kept at the extreme ends of their temp range. So, if it says 77 max for a temp range, it is actually about 75f max for the fish to be comfortable.

16. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

Thanks!

17. OP
    OP
    DrChief

Thanks for the info...
    Seriously Fish: NT: 21-28C, Betta: 20-26C------This means they are well inside the range of temp for both fish.
    Fishbase: NT: 22-28C, Betta: 24-30C------This one limits the range a bit more but leaves enough room for both to be happy.

It seems like there is a lot of info out there. I'll continue to monitor behavior and health, but I'm comfortable now that the two can be together.

18. n

nedpatrick Well Known Member Member

Neons are actually a highly debated topic on this forum about temperature. Yes they have a large temp range listed. While neons do experience temps as high as 80 in the wild it is only seasonal for 1 or 2 months. The rest of the year is spent in temperatures around 75. Keeping them permanently at high temperatures will cause them to live shorter lives.

19. OP
    OP
    DrChief

That is fantastic info!!